Ironton, OH Coach resigns after 34 years...

Well it would make sense. He's one of theirs, has college experience, it would be a good fit.

Someone on here also mentioned that KCC is starting up a football program - Does Snyder have any connection with them?

Woody Jr

Not that I know of Woody,maybe someone else on bgp would know better than I.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish coach Lutz all the best in his retirement. The man is truly a legend around our area. I have watched his teams play many times through the years and they were always a force - even in their "so called" down seasons. Lutz was "Old School" in his coaching style and I like that. There is not many of them left anymore. Woody.jr. was right in the way that his teams played - they would line up, tell you where the ball was going and teams still could not stop it. Some of my favorite years to watch Ironton when I got the chance were when Herb Conley was the coach at Ashland. A fan of h.s. football got to see the game of football the way it was meant to be played imo. That was a time when the Ashland /Ironton game was always the best game of the season in our area. I wish Ironton the best in trying to find a replacement for him. By the way, this may have absolutely nothing to do with this but our local t.v. news reported this morning that a Marshall Assistant was leaving the program. Marshall's coach Snyder is originally from the Ironton area. I just wonder if there could be a possibility of this man going to Ironton? Probably not but hearing the news of Lutz's retirement a day after hearing about a Marshall assistant leaving was kind of ironic. Oh yeah, The news this morning said that he was leaving to take a job in the Ashland, Ky. area and this is just across the bridge from Ironton. - did not say if it was a coaching related job or anything. Again, best wishes to Coach Lutz.

In the ADI, it said that the Marshall assistant coach was going to operate a fast-food franchise in Ashland.

He had a great career, and is a great coach. Someone I know very well called this last year. Check this thread:

http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=72004&highlight=ironton+lutz

Hey GiaT,

When I heard the rumor while visiting last Fall, combined with the fact that we wouldn't be able to play them this coming year, it made sense.

The posting about hiring coaches against his wishes doesn't seem to make sense. Last I remember, I thought Parker was also coaching on the sidelines with Lutz - someone could update me if different.

I can see Lutz just stopping with no concern about his ranking on win lists, etc. If the Freshmen of last year were their next really good group that would give a new coach several years to refine them in his style. (though didn't our freshmen beat them?). I know the son following the father is a popular coaching story but I don't see it ths time.

Snyder maybe, but they said the story there was he 's going into business. I can just envision the scene across the bridge. Football is life for so many over there. Power struggles and strong opinions are going to be the norm. It will be interesting to watch it play out.

Woody Jr

Hey GiaT,

When I heard the rumor while visiting last Fall, combined with the fact that we wouldn't be able to play them this coming year, it made sense.

The posting about hiring coaches against his wishes doesn't seem to make sense. Last I remember, I thought Parker was also coaching on the sidelines with Lutz - someone could update me if different.

I can see Lutz just stopping with no concern about his ranking on win lists, etc. If the Freshmen of last year were their next really good group that would give a new coach several years to refine them in his style. (though didn't our freshmen beat them?). I know the son following the father is a popular coaching story but I don't see it ths time.

Snyder maybe, but they said the story there was he 's going into business. I can just envision the scene across the bridge. Football is life for so many over there. Power struggles and strong opinions are going to be the norm. It will be interesting to watch it play out.

Woody Jr

I have a good friend that played for Lutz, was an all american, and went to OSU. He was telling me about all of this several months ago when AD-Parker hired the 3 assistant coaches without his input. The post that you quoted is exactly what happened. Since Parker has became AD at Ironton he has run-off an awesome basketball coach in Zorn (former Boyd County coach who took Ironton to the state championship in his first couple of years only to lose to OJ Mayo's NCH team) and now a legend football coach.

I guess thats why he did'nt have any comments as the paper stated. His actions had spoken volumes.

I have a good friend that played for Lutz, was an all american, and went to OSU. He was telling me about all of this several months ago when AD-Parker hired the 3 assistant coaches without his input. The post that you quoted is exactly what happened. Since Parker has became AD at Ironton he has run-off an awesome basketball coach in Zorn (former Boyd County coach who took Ironton to the state championship in his first couple of years only to lose to OJ Mayo's NCH team) and now a legend football coach.

I guess thats why he did'nt have any comments as the paper stated. His actions had spoken volumes.

Thanx for the info.

Any thoughts on the hiring process?

Woody Jr

Hmmmmm....:confused: I Wonder what the chances of this AD being on the way out? I mean Lutz was loved over there and it seems to me that this guy would not be very popular right now. :irked:

No offense to Coach Lutz, but it seemed to me that he maybe had more power within the halls of IHS than a high school football coach should have. Not to say or intimate that he did anything malicious or untoward with his leverage, but the school almost seemed to be secondary to the athletic department (especially football) for too many people over there. Is it just a coincidence that Lutz didn't announce his decision until after the vote on the school levy? I seriously doubt it...

No offense to Coach Lutz, but it seemed to me that he maybe had more power within the halls of IHS than a high school football coach should have. Not to say or intimate that he did anything malicious or untoward with his leverage, but the school almost seemed to be secondary to the athletic department (especially football) for too many people over there. Is it just a coincidence that Lutz didn't announce his decision until after the vote on the school levy? I seriously doubt it...

Just curious. Not being there locally now, could you please explain the vote re; Lutz's actions?

either here or PM

Thanx, Woody Jr

Ironton had their primary election last week and there was a school levy on the ballot. The tax was needed for the system to build new schools, especially a new high school. Coach Lutz appeared in a TV ad asking for support for the levy. I believe it finally passed after at least one failed attempt and now, the week following the vote, he announces his decision to retire. Good thing for the schools he waited, otherwise, I doubt it would have passed.