Ironton, OH Coach resigns after 34 years...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Lutz is a legend and his presence will be missed.

I hope they find a quality coach to replace him, but man, that is some big shoes to fill.

Very Big shoes and I hope the new coach will want to continue to schedule games against Kentucky schools.

He has 341 wins.

The principal stated that she wanted to see him get the lifetime record.

What is the lifetime record for most wins by a high school coach?

I believe he was close to getting the most wins in Ohio only.

The national record is held by Coach McKissick (sp?) in South Carolina. I think he has close to 500 wins.

Wow Even though we had heard the rumors when Ashland played them this past year it's hard to imagine coach Lutz leaving.

I know folks around Kentucky will think that nothing compares to the programs at X and T, Highlands, etc. (sorry to leave a lot of great programs out). But I believe Ironton is truely one of the most unique places you'll find when it comes to HS football. Reading the book Friday Night Lights about Permian will give you some idea. Ironton is a small town with history back to the early days of pro football when the Ironton Tanks and Portsmouth (OH)Spartans played the other infant teams - many whom died out as the NFL began to grow into what it is today. BTW, Portsmouth (our neighbor 25 miles downstream) played the GB Packers in the very first "NFL Championship", and they later became the Detroit Lions. As was quoted in the linked article, theres nothing else to do in Ironton. Industries have basically died out and everyone lives for Friday night HS football - it's like the twilight zone.

Even though the Tigers are a big rival for us (& unfortunately beat us regularly - but WE still schedule them every year!) I have gone to many, many games there just to enjoy great HS football. They have packed more than a couple thousand in there for big games and it's an incredible experience.

Coach Lutz 's teams still line up in Woody Hayes' "Robust T" and dare you to try & stop it. Owen Hauck's Boone Co teams had nothing on Ironton's offensive execution:thumb: I believe you would get 100% agreement that Lutz got everything out of what he had on a more regular basis than anyone you've ever seen.

It would be fun to do a psych profile of the guys applying for this position.:p :jump: While it's a great program, the pressure is going to be unimaginable for the person who steps in next. I'm guessing they will prefer someone with connections to the program and may defer to Lutz's recommendation but I would love to be a fly on the wall. While not ideal, he has given them enough time I believe to choose a coach rather than waiting until summer when an asst would likely be forced into the job.

This is gonna be fun to watch :D

Cheers, Woody Jr

He has 341 wins.

The principal stated that she wanted to see him get the lifetime record.

What is the lifetime record for most wins by a high school coach?

If I were the principal, I wouldn't want to see him leave either! She has to replace a legend!

I wish coach Lutz all the best in his retirement. The man is truly a legend around our area. I have watched his teams play many times through the years and they were always a force - even in their "so called" down seasons. Lutz was "Old School" in his coaching style and I like that. There is not many of them left anymore. Woody.jr. was right in the way that his teams played - they would line up, tell you where the ball was going and teams still could not stop it. Some of my favorite years to watch Ironton when I got the chance were when Herb Conley was the coach at Ashland. A fan of h.s. football got to see the game of football the way it was meant to be played imo. That was a time when the Ashland /Ironton game was always the best game of the season in our area. I wish Ironton the best in trying to find a replacement for him. By the way, this may have absolutely nothing to do with this but our local t.v. news reported this morning that a Marshall Assistant was leaving the program. Marshall's coach Snyder is originally from the Ironton area. I just wonder if there could be a possibility of this man going to Ironton? Probably not but hearing the news of Lutz's retirement a day after hearing about a Marshall assistant leaving was kind of ironic. Oh yeah, The news this morning said that he was leaving to take a job in the Ashland, Ky. area and this is just across the bridge from Ironton. - did not say if it was a coaching related job or anything. Again, best wishes to Coach Lutz.

I wish coach Lutz all the best in his retirement. The man is truly a legend around our area. I have watched his teams play many times through the years and they were always a force - even in their "so called" down seasons. Lutz was "Old School" in his coaching style and I like that. There is not many of them left anymore. Woody.jr. was right in the way that his teams played - they would line up, tell you where the ball was going and teams still could not stop it. Some of my favorite years to watch Ironton when I got the chance were when Herb Conley was the coach at Ashland. A fan of h.s. football got to see the game of football the way it was meant to be played imo. That was a time when the Ashland /Ironton game was always the best game of the season in our area. I wish Ironton the best in trying to find a replacement for him. By the way, this may have absolutely nothing to do with this but our local t.v. news reported this morning that a Marshall Assistant was leaving the program. Marshall's coach Snyder is originally from the Ironton area. I just wonder if there could be a possibility of this man going to Ironton? Probably not but hearing the news of Lutz's retirement a day after hearing about a Marshall assistant leaving was kind of ironic. Oh yeah, The news this morning said that he was leaving to take a job in the Ashland, Ky. area and this is just across the bridge from Ironton. - did not say if it was a coaching related job or anything. Again, best wishes to Coach Lutz.

Well it would make sense. He's one of theirs, has college experience, it would be a good fit.

Someone on here also mentioned that KCC is starting up a football program - Does Snyder have any connection with them?

Woody Jr