FIFA Executives arrested on corruption charges

It looks like American banks were used to launder dirty money, which is a problem for me. For some reason, my Safari app crashes every time I post a link, so I can't post some of the other stuff right now.

The bulk of the people indicted so far either made or received bribe money to sell media and/or marketing rights for World Cups, Gold Cups, CONCACAF Champions Leagues, and CONMEBOL tournaments.

None of the current indictments are directly related to the 2018 or 2022 World Cup bids.

Personally, I think prosecuting racketeering, corruption, confidence schemes, and money laundering are always worth the time and money of the DOJ.

It is, but the corruption really didn't happen on US soil. The main issue is w/ CONCACAF not paying taxes, which they reported. If US banks were used, turn over the transactions to the Swiss and let them prosecute it. I don't like using our money for this. We have other fish to fry, like the collusion of the Big 5 banks that demand much more attention.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of the men who had already pled guilty during the course of the investigation and had his plea unsealed yesterday already surrendered $151 MILLION to the DOJ that related to bribes for marketing rights in South America.

It is, but the corruption really didn't happen on US soil. The main issue is w/ CONCACAF not paying taxes, which they reported. If US banks were used, turn over the transactions to the Swiss and let them prosecute it. I don't like using our money for this. We have other fish to fry, like the collusion of the Big 5 banks that demand much more attention.

A lot of these folks worked at CONCACAF HQ in Miami Beach. Others are business owners with American subsidiaries. One of the indictments is directly related to a company's bid to sell Brazilian federation merchandise in the United States. Where else would the corruption take place?

One of the men who had already pled guilty during the course of the investigation and had his plea unsealed yesterday already surrendered $151 MILLION to the DOJ that related to bribes for marketing rights in South America.

How much will the US get in fines for it? Will it cover proceedings? I seriously don't know so I'm asking. How much of that $151 will the US get.

How much will the US get in fines for it? Will it cover proceedings? I seriously don't know so I'm asking. How much of that $151 will the US get.

I don't know the answer to that. Nobody loves property seizures like the Feds so I'm sure they'll be keeping a substantial amount.

I don't know the answer to that. Nobody loves property seizures like the Feds so I'm sure they'll be keeping a substantial amount.

If it covers the cost of the operation and lost time for our field agents, then I'm fine with all of this.

If it covers the cost of the operation and lost time for our field agents, then I'm fine with all of this.

In my limited experience with federal investigators and the DOJ, they don't publicly come after you unless they're 100 percent sure they've got you cold. In this case, I think they see even more asset seizures coming their way.

Dang... That is just going to be the tip of the iceberg I'm sure.

I thought FIFA was the model by which all pro sports leagues should be ran :idunno:

FIFA isn't a league; it's a global governing body, like FIBA is for basketball. No one on the planet (except maybe Sepp Blatter and or whatever criminal is running the IOC these days) would suggest FIFA as an admirable model for anything.

This just gets better and better.

FIFA just released a statement that Traffic Sports USA, the director of which pled guilty to bribery charges and gave evidence to the DOJ, was responsible for brokering the deal that moved Brazil's national federation from Adidas to Nike. No idea why the statement was made other than FIFA seems to be hitting back at the people who did them wrong. This is going to get uglier.

DOJ press conference going on now:

Say current charges cover Brazil's deal with Nike, 2011 FIFA presidential election, and 2010 World Cup bid, in addition to the CONCACAF and CONMEBOL events already discussed.

DOJ press conference going on now:

Say current charges cover Brazil's deal with Nike, 2011 FIFA presidential election, and 2010 World Cup bid, in addition to the CONCACAF and CONMEBOL events already discussed.

So is Nike in trouble here?

So is Nike in trouble here?

I doubt it, but when your company's name comes up in criminal investigation, you break out the shredders. I'm sure they're working in Beaverton this morning. There are also a lot of people poring over anything Nike's ever done in connection with Traffic Sports.

My guess would be that Nike didn't directly pay bribes to get the deal done, but that another group, set to make a nice chunk of change off that deal, made the actual transfers so that they could benefit as a go-between for Nike and the Brazil FA. That's where this Traffic Sports, USA fits into the whole thing, as a broker that makes bribes to get business for themselves.