FIFA Executives arrested on corruption charges

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Remember that small story that came out a couple weeks ago that Sepp Blatter was afraid to come to the U.S. because of an investigation into corruption? Turns out the DOJ and FBI were cooking up something a lot bigger than I could have ever thought.

Remember that small story that came out a couple weeks ago that Sepp Blatter was afraid to come to the U.S. because of an investigation into corruption? Turns out the DOJ and FBI were cooking up something a lot bigger than I could have ever thought.

And from what little I've read, that guy hasn't been charged.

Looks like Switzerland has some kind of agreement with the U.S. that allowed the arrests to happen.

And from what little I've read, that guy hasn't been charged.

Looks like Switzerland has some kind of agreement with the U.S. that allowed the arrests to happen.

Although it should be noted that simply having the name Sepp Blatter probably merits some sort of charge.

Although it should be noted that simply having the name Sepp Blatter probably merits some sort of charge.

One of the articles I read in The Guardian had a quote to the effect of "Blatter is obsessed with power, not money." and based on how he's behaved, I believe it. He's infamously used public shaming and threats to keep people voting for him; at his age and in his position, I'm sure the financial corruption is at arm's length. It would be difficult to find anything concrete on him.

The more I read, the more amazed I become. Chuck Blazer and the two sons of the deeply corrupt Jack Warner pled guilty nearly a year and a half ago, forming the base of the investigation. Their indictments and pleas were all made under seal and were opened along with this indictment just yesterday prior to the raid.

Apparently our new Attorney General oversaw this investigation while she was previously the Deputy AG in charge in New York.

This is seriously the happiest day in my life as a soccer fan. I'm enjoying this even more than Landon Donovan's goal that sent us into the last 16 at WC 2010. (Not really but I'm having a lot of fun.)

Ten more FIFA officials not under indictment at this time are to be questioned by Swiss authorities regarding the 2018 and 2022 WC bids.

image.jpg

There's just no way Qatar really "won" that bid. :lol2:

It's impossible. Their original pitch involved giant, hovering panels, suspended in the air by helicopter blades, in order to provide artificial cloud cover to reduce the temperature on the field. It was ridiculous.

And now the final is set to take place a week before Christmas, something that was NEVER in the cards when the original bids were made.

Nobody, not even the deeply corrupt national federations in certain parts of the world, would have voted for this Qatar bid knowing what it now entails.

In the big scheme of things....this is such a waste of tax payer money.

It looks like American banks were used to launder dirty money, which is a problem for me. For some reason, my Safari app crashes every time I post a link, so I can't post some of the other stuff right now.

The bulk of the people indicted so far either made or received bribe money to sell media and/or marketing rights for World Cups, Gold Cups, CONCACAF Champions Leagues, and CONMEBOL tournaments.

None of the current indictments are directly related to the 2018 or 2022 World Cup bids.

Personally, I think prosecuting racketeering, corruption, confidence schemes, and money laundering are always worth the time and money of the DOJ.