Early favorites and surprises for The Preakness

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be interesting to see the pace in this one. There is no true speed horse so I would guess AP, Dort and Firing Line could be 1-2-3 all the way around again. Diving Rod showed speed in Tampa Bay Derby and faded but rated well in the Lexington so that is the plan again. The rest are probably not fast enough to run near the lead. Best the rest can hope for is that the Top 3 set some suicidal fractions up front battling each other and the race falls apart.

Be interesting to see the pace in this one. There is no true speed horse so I would guess AP, Dort and Firing Line could be 1-2-3 all the way around again. Diving Rod showed speed in Tampa Bay Derby and faded but rated well in the Lexington so that is the plan again. The rest are probably not fast enough to run near the lead. Best the rest can hope for is that the Top 3 set some suicidal fractions up front battling each other and the race falls apart.

No surprises or legitimate long shots to throw into a trifecta with AP and Dort?

No surprises or legitimate long shots to throw into a trifecta with AP and Dort?

I haven't seen a form yet, but the post position number 1 surely didn't help AP any. In the KY Derby, the last horse to burst from the number one hole and win was Tabasco Cat back in 1994. In the Preakness, the last horse to win from the 1 hole was back in 1986. In my opinion, the race got a little more interesting. Dortman in the 2 hole, is a huge race horse and could keep AP on the rail and cause AP traffic problems.

The 1 and 2 posts have not had much success in the Preakness. Add Mr. Z to the equation out of the 3 hole and things could be really interesting going into the first turn. Divining Rod ran an really nice race in the Lexington, but that field was very suspect, probably even more so than the Bluegrass field. With all of that said, the race sets up beautifully for Firing Line. I again expect him to make a really nice run in this race. May not win it, but will be a part of the action at the finish line.

Couple of other notes:

Divining Rod is the Jackson's local bred horse. They owned Barbaro if you recall.

Mubtaahij has shipped to Belmont to prepare for the Belmont Stakes along with Frosted and Materiality as far as I know. It's going to be tough again to win a triple crown.

I like AP, but I don't like his post position in the Preakness, but I haven't decided who I think will win yet, but I am thinking Firing Line getting an edge due to post position.

Mr. Z, who finished a troubled 13th in the May 2 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), has been entered in the Xpressbet.com Preakness Stakes (gr. I) and will run in the colors of Calumet Farm.

Trainer D. Wayne Lukas said the paperwork was being processed that would transfer ownership of the Malibu Moon colt from Zayat Stables to Calumet. Calumet owns Oxbow , the 2013 Preakness winner.

Mr. Z Bought by Calumet, Entered in Preakness | BloodHorse.com

Didn't see this post earlier!

Is it me? Where is the Preakness buzz? Last year everything was about California Chrome, this year I haven't heard anybody talking about AP.

My first and the biggest bets I will play will be on Firing Line. I will do an exacta wheel, FL and all, all and FL. I find it hard to bet against Gary Stevens. I will box my trifecta's with most of the long shots and on some I will include AP.

I hope all your bets are winning ones, good luck.

^ Everyone talked about Chrome last year because his connections wouldn't stop saying ridiculous things to the press.

Zayat has been out of the country for the last week so he hasn't really been talking and he and his son seem like humble enough normal, well-adjusted people.

I think your impulse on Firing Line will be a popular one come race time. Dortmund and AP are going to fight each other to avoid the rail early and who knows what that useless Mr. Z will do out of the gate. Firing Line could go clear early and not have to fight much. Could have easily won the Derby.

^ Everyone talked about Chrome last year because his connections wouldn't stop saying ridiculous things to the press.

Zayat has been out of the country for the last week so he hasn't really been talking and he and his son seem like humble enough normal, well-adjusted people.

I think your impulse on Firing Line will be a popular one come race time. Dortmund and AP are going to fight each other to avoid the rail early and who knows what that useless Mr. Z will do out of the gate. Firing Line could go clear early and not have to fight much. Could have easily won the Derby.

If AP wins the Preakness, we also know that he will be in the Belmont with a lot of fresh horses. Chromes owner(s) were a side show that's for sure. :lol2:

Seriously I think Firing Line goes from gate to wire. Mr.Z has been beaten by AP twice that I'm aware of. Mr. Z will be in some of my tri's, but not all of them. I need to find some info on Zayat, could be a contender, I don't know.

No way does Firing Line go gate to wire. If you think that, then you are throwing your money away IMO. He should be laying 3rd or 4th in this field along with American Pharaoh, not to far off the pace of Mr. Z, Dortmund and the horse from Pimlico. Look for both to be on lead or in contention turning for home. Danzig Moon comes running very late under Leparoux to get third. Firing Line wins the race by 1/2 length.