Early favorites and surprises for The Preakness

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dortmund and Firing Line said to be pointing that way as well.

Pletcher is supposedly aiming both Materiality and Carpe Diem at Pimlico and even more likely is his winner of the Pat Day Mile on the Derby undercard, Competitive Edge.

International Star is out, which is a bummer. The sore foot that scratched him on Derby Day has turned out to be a chip in his ankle that will require surgery.

Based on the horses I think will go as of right now, if I were handicapping...

AP is a sure-fire "A".

I don't bet any exotics without one of Dortmund or Firing Line being in there as well. I can see one of these other horses sneaking in but not any two such that both of them would be kept out of the money.

Competitive Edge is unbeaten but somewhat untested. Haven't seen the PPs on him yet but a son of past Derby winner Super Saver out of an AP Indy mare so the bloodlines are there and he absolutely ran away from the field on Saturday.

Give me... AP-Dortmund-Competitive Edge out of this group so far.

Is he a serious contender?

Meh.

The field in the Lexington was far from outstanding and Divining Rod ran third in the Tampa Bay Derby to eventual Bluegrass Stakes winner (and Derby Day disaster) Carpe Diem as well as Ami's Flatter. I remember watching that race but almost nothing about it.

The updated Preakness field as of now. Obviously subject to change. Post positions have not been drawn yet.

Grand Bili 50-1

Mr. Z 33-1

Bodhisattva 40-1

Tale of Verve 50-1

Standford 40-1

Divining Rod 22-1

Danzig Moon 20-1

Carpe Diem 12-1

Firing Line 5-1

Materiallity 16-1

American Pharoah 5-6

Competitive Edge 14-1

Dortmund 6-1

The updated Preakness field as of now. Obviously subject to change. Post positions have not been drawn yet.

Grand Bili 50-1

Mr. Z 33-1

Bodhisattva 40-1

Tale of Verve 50-1

Standford 40-1

Divining Rod 22-1

Danzig Moon 20-1

Carpe Diem 12-1

Firing Line 5-1

Materiallity 16-1

American Pharoah 5-6

Competitive Edge 14-1

Dortmund 6-1

Preakness update. Trainer Todd Pleacher pulls Carpe Diem, Materiality, Competetive Edge and Standford out of the Preakness effective 5-12-15.

So the Preakness will have 7 horses or something?

Something like that. With a short field, not much money to be made. The experts say that AP odds went from 5-6 to 5-8. In other words, for every $8 you bet to win, you get your $8 back with $5 added.

Mr. Z, who finished a troubled 13th in the May 2 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), has been entered in the Xpressbet.com Preakness Stakes (gr. I) and will run in the colors of Calumet Farm.

Trainer D. Wayne Lukas said the paperwork was being processed that would transfer ownership of the Malibu Moon colt from Zayat Stables to Calumet. Calumet owns Oxbow , the 2013 Preakness winner.

Mr. Z Bought by Calumet, Entered in Preakness | BloodHorse.com

I don't think much of Carpe Diem after his horrible run in the Derby, but I definitely wish Materiality and Competitive Edge had entered.

If they could find a way to get the Preakness field back up to at least 10 horses, it would be a much better event. Don't know how.

Mr. Z, who finished a troubled 13th in the May 2 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), has been entered in the Xpressbet.com Preakness Stakes (gr. I) and will run in the colors of Calumet Farm.

Trainer D. Wayne Lukas said the paperwork was being processed that would transfer ownership of the Malibu Moon colt from Zayat Stables to Calumet. Calumet owns Oxbow , the 2013 Preakness winner.

Mr. Z Bought by Calumet, Entered in Preakness | BloodHorse.com

Mr. Z also ran in the Arkanas Derby chasing AP and finished a fading 3rd. :cool: