Lincoln County 2015

Ram

Harry, only Stanford High and Stanford Lincoln (segregated school that closed in the early '60s) ever had football in the county. I'm guessing the elementary's all have teams like they do in basketball, but I can't say that for sure.

Of the five schools that consolidated to form LCHS in 1974, only Stanford played football. On the really good teams from 1979-1988, of which I am very familiar, only a handful of kids came from outside of Stanford.

Lincoln High, the segregated school, played football against other segregated schools prior to integration in 1963-64 with Stanford High School. Those players made an immediate impact on the football fortunes at Stanford, which almost dropped football in 1960 but finished 9-1 in 1964, after the influx of developed football talent.

Also, the demographics on the football team have changed from some reason. There are very few African-American players on the roster, which is much different than the really good teams of the 80s and 90s. This is nothing more than a factual observation. Please don't read anything into this that is not intended.

While coaching and administrative support are common complaints, there just hasn't been a lot of football talent on the teams I have seen the past few years. Slow, small and un-athletic is hard to coach.

My question: where are the football players in Lincoln County? Do they exist? Not one or two, like Andrew Wilks, but several on one team.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Demographics of the team... LOL..So now we are saying its the players. SLOW, SMALL AND UN-ATHLETIC. It has nothing to do with coaching ? Coach French did really well at LC the last 2 or 3 years. Coach Settles was winning JV championships. Football talent ?

JV championships don't necessarily translate to varsity winning. French had a couple of good years, but that's it. There is some talent in Lincoln Co. just not enough at once to compete in 5a. Hopefully a few classes will come through soon and Lincoln can get back to the great teams of the past.

Yes. French's last two years there were very good, but he did have two WKU signees that were Seniors on his 3rd team and a slew of well above athletes in the class behind them that were Seniors his 4th year there on the state semifinal team. The group that was Seniors his 4th year were really the kids he built his teams around. Since that time, Lincoln has not come close to having the depth of talent that they had during French's 4 years there. Regardless of who the coach was going to be, the sledding would have been rougher since 2007. I'm not saying it's all on the players, but it's certainly not all on the coaches either. It's never one person. The problems at Lincoln in terms of football run much deeper than that and many have been expressed on this thread.

Edited by StudRB

As an area football fan, I really hate to say this... But, I don't know if Lincoln will ever be consistently competitive in 5A football. They may have a class or two come through every once in a while, but I don't think they can do it consistently. At least not with the current athletics structure at Lincoln.