Alabama High School Coach Salaries

Clyde

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RockinGa I like this perspective for sure. Here in Kentucky (not sure if you are familiar with teacher requirements here) All teachers are required to have their Masters degree by their 10th year in the classroom. A new stipulation that was recently passed in the last few years has been place on teachers wanting Administration certification. Before you could become an Administrator with just a Masters in Admin, now they require you to receive a Rank 1 (2nd complete Masters) in Administration/Teacher Leadership to become an Administrator. A PhD in the school system only makes $2k-$3k more per year than a Rank 1, so there is not really the need to go any further. I stopped @ Rank 1. :)

I've still got friends who teach in Ky and they've told me about that. I think it's a great idea although the school system is going to end up paying more.

We passed a law a few years ago that says you have 5 years to get a job in admin once you're done with your masters. We had a ton of people getting it and then not entering the field.

It's not illegal to do in Kentucky. The boosters just have to give the money to the school and then the school gives it to the coach. It can be done.

I think your information is incorrect...at least legally speaking anyway.

2.) Can school activity funds be used to pay salaries?

Yes and no. Base pay, contracted salary, and pay for district-created positions, including stipends, shall not be paid from school activity funds. These costs are “operational expenses” and include: stipends for sponsors of student activities, SBDM secretary, and coaching supplements. (See item #5 under “Fundraising” on page 7 of the Redbook.)

School activity funds may be used to pay for other types of personal services costs including: additional custodial costs for clean-up after a basketball game, ticket takers, clock keeper at sporting events, guest conductors, game officials, and judges.

In addition, the Redbook requires payments made for personal services rendered by district employees to be made from the district through payroll. (See “Employees” on page 15 of the Redbook.)

http://education.ky.gov/districts/FinRept/Documents/Redbook FAQ 10-29-14.doc

I think your information is incorrect...at least legally speaking anyway.

2.) Can school activity funds be used to pay salaries?

Yes and no. Base pay, contracted salary, and pay for district-created positions, including stipends, shall not be paid from school activity funds. These costs are “operational expenses” and include: stipends for sponsors of student activities, SBDM secretary, and coaching supplements. (See item #5 under “Fundraising” on page 7 of the Redbook.)

School activity funds may be used to pay for other types of personal services costs including: additional custodial costs for clean-up after a basketball game, ticket takers, clock keeper at sporting events, guest conductors, game officials, and judges.

In addition, the Redbook requires payments made for personal services rendered by district employees to be made from the district through payroll. (See “Employees” on page 15 of the Redbook.)

http://education.ky.gov/districts/FinRept/Documents/Redbook FAQ 10-29-14.doc

Where he said school, insert District office (Central Office Board of Education).

Where he said school, insert District office (Central Office Board of Education).

My understanding is the Redbook expressly prohibits this. I just got done reading it...sure sounds like activity funds (booster club) money CANNOT be used for stipends/salaries and are a school expenditure. maybe I'm wrong and am completely misunderstanding it, but if so I sure would like for someone to explain what I'm seeing wrong.

My understanding is the Redbook expressly prohibits this. I just got done reading it...sure sounds like activity funds (booster club) money CANNOT be used for stipends/salaries and are a school expenditure. maybe I'm wrong and am completely misunderstanding it, but if so I sure would like for someone to explain what I'm seeing wrong.

Activity funds and Booster Club $$ is totally different things, one is controlled by school, one isn't.

If booster club gives funds to XXXX County Schools board of education, (Not the school, but the County/District board of Education) then they can pay out that money however they want, including additional stipends.

Stipends are paid from the Board of Education of said district, not the individual school.

Activity funds and Booster Club $$ is totally different things, one is controlled by school, one isn't.

If booster club gives funds to XXXX County Schools board of education, (Not the school, but the County/District board of Education) then they can pay out that money however they want, including additional stipends.

Stipends are paid from the Board of Education of said district, not the individual school.

I stand corrected, you are correct...if I had read further I would have seen this.

13) Booster clubs shall not pay or enhance salaries/stipends, incentives nor purchase gifts for any district employee. External support/booster organizations may, however, donate to the district/school for these purposes as long as the salaries paid are within the limits set by the local board.

http://education.ky.gov/districts/legal/Documents/Accounting Procedures for Kentucky School Activity.doc

However, look at the last sentence..."limits set by the local board". My understanding is that coaches will only be allowed a restricted, rather minimal stipend at most, thus preventing a booster club from donating $100,000 to the district to pay "Coach Smith" the football coach as they do in AL. So, still what happens in AL would/could not happen here in KY insofar as salaries is concerned.

I stand corrected, you are correct...if I had read further I would have seen this.

13) Booster clubs shall not pay or enhance salaries/stipends, incentives nor purchase gifts for any district employee. External support/booster organizations may, however, donate to the district/school for these purposes as long as the salaries paid are within the limits set by the local board.

http://education.ky.gov/districts/legal/Documents/Accounting Procedures for Kentucky School Activity.doc

However, look at the last sentence..."limits set by the local board". My understanding is that coaches will only be allowed a restricted, rather minimal stipend at most, thus preventing a booster club from donating $100,000 to the district to pay "Coach Smith" the football coach as they do in AL. So, still what happens in AL would/could not happen here in KY insofar as salaries is concerned.

It could happen if the school district chooses to allow it to happen.

It could happen if the school district chooses to allow it to happen.

I guess my question is...then why doesn't it or hasn't it happened? Why hasn't a booster club raised $100,000 and had an open coaching search and say "come get it" and had the best of the best lining up for the job? It has to be something preventing this from happening or it would have happened and would be happening now.

Our boosters essentially paid an extra stipend (1 more than the district allotted) for one of our coaches this season. They were red book compliant. I don't know what the did/how they worded it, but it happened. And trust me, our district or school will not be "in compliance."

I guess my question is...then why doesn't it or hasn't it happened? Why hasn't a booster club raised $100,000 and had an open coaching search and say "come get it" and had the best of the best lining up for the job? It has to be something preventing this from happening or it would have happened and would be happening now.

Because once they do it, they have to continue to do it.

Supply and demand. There are ample coaches available and no one else paying that kind of money. Believe me, if one school found a way to do it and stole a good coach from somewhere else, other schools would start doing the same as long as they had the available resources.

I've still got friends who teach in Ky and they've told me about that. I think it's a great idea although the school system is going to end up paying more.

We passed a law a few years ago that says you have 5 years to get a job in admin once you're done with your masters. We had a ton of people getting it and then not entering the field.

How can they make that a law (IF) there are no jobs available? I have mine, but chances are slim of getting an admin job. When one does open, between 75-100 people apply for the associate principal jobs in the county I am in. Its tough.

Because the BOE of these school systems have set a max on what a coach can be paid if I were guessing. Head football coach in my county $9350, It doesn't matter if any of the schools are able to hire Bill Belichick, he is getting $9350.