Highlands 3 Newport Central Catholic 2

Final from Highland Park.

Great pitchers duel between Joe Martin and Grant Moeves who both threw conplete games.

NCC scored both of their runs in the first on a single by Brandon Gray, double by Zack Pangallo and a single by Spencer Pangallo.

Martin fanned 12 while not walking a single batter. The Birds scored the winning run in the bottom of the 7th inning on a rocket shot to left by JR Conner Kreeger. It had to be scored as a single but would have been at least a double but more likely a triple if it hadn't plated the winning run. Kreeger later tweeted that it was the farthest single he had ever hit.

NCC is a dangerous team with Moeves on the bump. His curve ball was excellent today. I don't want to play them on Memorial Day in Florence.

Martin was masterful for the Birds. The pitching depth for the Birds was evident once again. Their relievers are getting as much work recently as Maytag repairmen.

Martin with 12k's in a complete game effort for the Birds. Moeves pitched a heck of a game for the Breds. He kept the Birds hitters off balance all night long with his slow curve...Let's just say the umpiring had something to be desired for both teams.....horrible!! I wouldn't let those guys ump a Tball game let alone a district seeding game! Really bad!!

Fill those of us in who were not there.

I can't do the scenario justice. It literally happened right in front of me. However, I was looking through the lens with one eye, tracking Alex V anticipating a close play at 3rd, and watching the play on the ball with the other eye.

There are definitely others than can give a better description.

As I saw it:

Veneman on 1st. Can't remember who at bat.

Veneman takes off for 2nd. At the time, just thought steal.

Batter hits it down the first base line.

NC Pitcher Moeves goes to make the play. Veneman rounds 2nd heading to 3rd.

Totally unclear in my view:

Moeves and batter have some sort of contact in the baseline.

+Don't know if ball is dropped or if he ever actually had it.

+some said runner kicked the ball while running.

+some said Moeves was trying to tag and lost the ball.

+some said Moeves wasn't trying to make play on the batter but instead was trying to make play on 3rd

Result:

Batter was called out. DON'T know exactly what for.

Veneman was sent back to 1st.

One debate would be on what the call was against the batter.

The other, and more confusing for me, is why was Veneman sent to 1st???

Wow...if he was stealing you would think they would just send him back to 2nd in the event they ruled the play dead once the batter kicked it. I am not a rule master so I have no clue but sending Vennamon back to first is strange. Did JB argue the call?

The call was interference on the runner against a fielder attempting to make a play. By rule, that runner (in this case the batter) is out and runners return to the base they were on at the time of the pitch.

Finally made it out to watch a game this year all I can say is WOW. What a game Martin and Moeves pitch one heck of a game. Martin was throwing heat and Moeves was keeping Highlands off balance the whole game. Whitford and Pangallo are worth the price of emission even though I didnt they werent charging to get in the game. Whitford can flat out hit Pangallo can to and Pangallo made some web gems in the field that was pretty impressive. The Gray boy foe Newcath can hit also. Mills, Murray, Ramey, and Ball make contact and are hard to get out. It was a great highschool game Im glad I made the trip to watch it. Congrats to Highlands and good luck to Newcath the rest of the year.

What a shame this got wiped under the rug. Highlnds administartion or for that matter the parents taught those kids nothing or taught them they can get away with that behavior if you know the righ people.

Sorry i missed this game was hoping to get out to it.

This is what happened on that play. Venneman on 1st and Hennigan at the plate. Venneman steals and Hennigan lays down a bunt right down the first baseline. Moeves fields the ball Hennigan is running straight down the white line. Moeves goes to tag Hennigan as Hennigan is running. The ball comes out of Moeves glove and hits the ground. The umpire calls interference on Hennigan which it was not. Hennigan let Moeves field the ball and Moeves dropped it when he was tagging Hennigan. Hennigan should of been on 1st and Venneman on 3rd. There was no interference!!

What a shame this got wiped under the rug. Highlnds administartion or for that matter the parents taught those kids nothing or taught them they can get away with that behavior if you know the righ people.

Sorry i missed this game was hoping to get out to it.

That ship has sailed....move on!