Do You Believe in a Literal Hell ?

Do You Believe in a Literal Physical Hell ?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Believe in a Literal Physical Hell ?

• Hell - Yes
    • Hell - No

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you actually capable of making a post about religion in which you don't mock or ridicule those who believe? It's beyond pathetic.

Your question has been answered repeatedly. Why people continue to engage someone with such a closed mind I will never get. I value my time too much and will await real intelligent debate.

Are you actually capable of making a post about religion in which you don't mock or ridicule those who believe? It's beyond pathetic.

I said you are as right in believing what you do as I am in believing what I do. Neither of us is right or wrong. What more can I say to soothe your savage breast? Well, I'll try. :) If your belief makes you happy, then that's what's important. I think what happens with a lot of Christians is they have an uncomfortable feeling deep within them that their beliefs really are kinda insane and it gnaws at them from time to time and when an agnostic/atheist challenges them with an alternate view that is based on science and not superstition , that gnawing comes up through the esophagus like some sort of putrid evangelical reflux- You know, the kind that not even good ole JOHN 3:16 will correct. TUMS anyone?

I said you are as right in believing what you do as I am in believing what I do. Neither of us is right or wrong. What more can I say to soothe your savage breast? Well, I'll try. :) If your belief makes you happy, then that's what's important. I think what happens with a lot of Christians is they have an uncomfortable feeling deep within them that their beliefs really are kinda insane and it gnaws at them from time to time and when an agnostic/atheist challenges them with an alternate view that is based on science and not superstition , that gnawing comes up through the esophagus like some sort of putrid evangelical reflux- You know, the kind that not even good ole JOHN 3:16 will correct. TUMS anyone?

Not at all. I have no issue with anyone who doesn't believe. It's their right and I respect them and that right. The fact that you make sophomoric remarks, and mock those who believe in every post is why I have zero respect for anything you post. It's simply pathetic.

Honestly, one could have a more engaging, respectful discussion with a 5 year old on the subject.

Your question has been answered repeatedly. Why people continue to engage someone with such a closed mind I will never get. I value my time too much and will await real intelligent debate.

You mean intelligent debate like when will folks disappear from the face of the Earth in an instant(raptured), or what did Satan ,in the form of a talking snake , mean when he spoke to Adam and Eve in the garden, or how small would the two fish and five loaves have to be to feed thousands, or two of every species in one ark? Kinda hard to have intelligent debate when discussing Biblical lunacy. Now, quantum physics and string theory, I'll take slightly more serious.

Come at me with real science and we'll talk, big guy. ;)

If the debate is so beneath you then what other reason do you have for starting all the threads in this forum then to ridicule and belittle people? I count 10 that you started just on the first page that shows u on my browser.

Why do you visit this forum at all other then to make fun of people and their beliefs.

If the debate is so beneath you then what other reason do you have for starting all the threads in this forum then to ridicule and belittle people? I count 10 that you started just on the first page that shows u on my browser.

Why do you visit this forum at all other then to make fun of people and their beliefs.

I think the psychology of religion is VERY interesting. That's why in one of the first topics I posted on the subject, I asked "What is God to you?" This followed a topic a few months earlier by guru in which he posed the question "Why do you believe what you do?" Up to this point, I really don't think either of us has gotten a single satisfactory response other than a lot of Bible verses. That is, I am still just as confounded as I was months ago as to what God is to you , where he/she/it is, and why he gives a damn what you do with your genitals. Some of you said God is Love. Well, that's all nice and romantic. But it's just your way of saying "I have no idea" what God is but I'm going to say something pleasing. The fact is, no one on here has any idea what God is, if God is, why God is, or even why you choose to believe in such a character. None of you have had a two-way conversation with such a being and you know it but you want to convince yourself otherwise. God was created by you- by us- not the other way around. Most humans need a God in their lives to make them feel relevant and meaningful. Some used to worship the sun as their God. Probably in some corner of the universe somewhere there is a being that worships a pink dinosaur. Most humans want to feel that there is something after this life- that it doesn't all end here. But deep down you know it does. Mama passes on and you want to think you'll see her again. So you hold on to that believe that offers you that hope. But realistically, you know it just doesn't add up. Believing in angels, streets of gold above the clouds somewhere, and a loving Heavenly Father awaiting with open arms is a defense mechanism that allows your ego to cope with the anxieties of this life. Those are the things I enjoy about religion- what is it that makes otherwise smart, thoughtful people believe in absurdities that they would never , ever conceive of being possible in any other context. I have been to churches and viewed people dancing around in a circle in a trance-like state and chanting some kind of jibberish. In some cases, I have witnessed them holding eight or ten rattlesnakes and a small child or two while they did their holy dance. While I find that behavior crazy, I find the study of it fascinating. So, while I may find some of your beliefs crazy, I do find them fascinating in a sense. I will continue asking questions hoping to understand further the "why" behind the belief in the unbelievable and the answers behind the crazy antics. Yes, I must admit I found Marshall Applewhite and his Hale-Bopp Christian warriors goofy as hell, but I also found the story a fascinating study of human behavior. These were professional people, many of them very smart folks like many of you. Yet they wanted to believe in that "higher plane" so much that they were willing drink some kool-aid and hop aboard a comet to get closer to God. Have you ever wondered if you are drinking the Kool-aid as well?

Be blessed all.

Why are you the arbiter of what's a satisfactory response?

That's all well and good but you interject such condescending language in everything you post. You have to PROVE that you know more then us poor misguided believers. Why do you feel the need to do that?

There are ways to discuss things and express disagreement without being insulting.

That's all well and good but you interject such condescending language in everything you post. You have to PROVE that you know more then us poor misguided believers. Why do you feel the need to do that?

There are ways to discuss things and express disagreement without being insulting.

Dude, I can PROVE that the area under the curve y = sin x from x=0 to x=pi is 2 . Proving that I know more about the mysteries of the Universe than anyone else would be significantly more challenging and would probably be viewed as a condescending proof as well. :)

Edited by Science Friction

I'll tell you what All Tell. You make a valid point here. I'll make a deal with you. You have spent the better part of a decade bashing, insulting, and casting aspersions on here about liberals. That offends my liberal sensitivities. Being a liberal is as much apart of my belief system as Christianity is to many of those on here. I'm sure some liberals take such insults just as personal as Christians who have aspersions cast on their invisible Jesus . If you will be more sensitive to us liberals on here and find it in your heart to "discuss things and express disagreement without being insulting" as you put it, I will do my best to do the same. What you say old pal?

The thing you aren't getting is you can have those same conversations without acting immature. Your sophomoric ridicule and mockery make everyone see your posts as nothing more than you taking shots.

Thanks. I think maybe All Tell and I will soon enter into an agreement to be more loving.... Me to the religious fringe ....him to the liberal fringe. :)

I feel a Kumbaya moment coming on. Stay tuned.

I'll tell you what All Tell. You make a valid point here. I'll make a deal with you. You have spent the better part of a decade bashing, insulting, and casting aspersions on here about liberals. That offends my liberal sensitivities. Being a liberal is as much apart of my belief system as Christianity is to many of those on here. I'm sure some liberals take such insults just as personal as Christians who have aspersions cast on their invisible Jesus . If you will be more sensitive to us liberals on here and find it in your heart to "discuss things and express disagreement without being insulting" as you put it, I will do my best to do the same. What you say old pal?

I don't believe that faith and political ideology are synonymous and you do your share of bashing in the political threads as well.