Do You Believe in a Literal Hell ?

Do You Believe in a Literal Physical Hell ?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Believe in a Literal Physical Hell ?

• Hell - Yes
    • Hell - No

I don't believe in a fire and brimstone hell. However, I believe their is a hell in our minds that is a result of our lack of mental peace while we are here on Earth. I believe there is a Heaven in believing in the Holy Spirit, and with that belief comes a peace that we carry to the grave. Not exactly what I was taught in church.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm to believe Christ who said "In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you" and take that literally, I'm also taking the lake of fire literally.

If I'm to believe Christ who said "In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you" and take that literally, I'm also taking the lake of fire literally.

I don't disagree with your premise but Jesus didn't say "mansions." He said "Monai." Abiding places, abodes. If we are to be literal we need to honor the greek text first.

I don't believe in a fire and brimstone hell. However, I believe their is a hell in our minds that is a result of our lack of mental peace while we are here on Earth. I believe there is a Heaven in believing in the Holy Spirit, and with that belief comes a peace that we carry to the grave. Not exactly what I was taught in church.

I'll bet not! :)

I don't disagree with your premise but Jesus didn't say "mansions." He said "Monai." Abiding places, abodes. If we are to be literal we need to honor the greek text first.

I quoted the text. I understand the translation. Doesn't change my stance.

Actually, I like this commentary on it from Clarke "If - not - I would have told you - If your places were not prepared in the kingdom of God, I would not have permitted you to have indulged a vain hope concerning future blessedness. "

Insecure Christians like the one a few posts above this one tend to regard every statement as ridicule. Most , I feel, lack considerable confidence in their supernatural beliefs to begin with. You just hate when we(agnostics/atheists) confront you with what you know deep down is true-God didn't create us... we created him!

Insecure Christians like the ^ tend to regard every statement as ridicule. Most , I feel, lack considerable confidence in their supernatural beliefs to begin with. You just hate when we(agnostics/atheists) confront you with what you know deep down is true-God didn't create us... we created him!
Deep down? Where exactly is that? You can't fathom a divine creator but have no issue with there being aliens. Color me confused in your version of science.

Deep down? Where exactly is that? You can't fathom a divine creator but have no issue with there being aliens. Color me confused in your version of science.

Science and math predicts alien civilizations have evolved just as we did. Science does not predict a divine creator. The divine creator God was invented by man.

Science and math predicts alien civilizations have evolved just as we did. Science does not predict a divine creator. The divine creator God was invented by man.
You can call it God or intelligent design, whatever makes you happy, but you need to check the opinion of all of your fellow scientists and see if they believe in a "big bang". Review the study of the age of the planet and see if you can find some of the leading scientific authority and see if they agree on what they refer to as "big bang" only in name because it doesn't fit any theorum with how the whole thing started. An overwhelming number believe in intelligent design. But you keep on believing in those aliens because of some "science" predictions. I think our definitions of science are just different.

So you have faith in Science, others have faith in God. Noted.

It is very easy to attack the elementary lessons that Christians use to spread the Gospel to young children. Arguments being made are much more hard to break when they are more deeply explained (You have not addressed my posts at all).

"Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures without eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be a word without meaning" (CS Lewis Mere Christianity 39).

Sorry to thread jack.

My theology prof at Southern, William Hendricks: Hell is the ulcer in God's stomach. If God is believed to be Omnipresent, then he must be present in Hell. If not, he would be less than God. He is present, but relationship is not possible. His analogy was: which is worse? To be punished n sent to your room, or punished but remained in the room with your parents.

I've never heard this argument, but I like it a lot. Interesting perspective.

Insecure Christians like the one a few posts above this one tend to regard every statement as ridicule. Most , I feel, lack considerable confidence in their supernatural beliefs to begin with. You just hate when we(agnostics/atheists) confront you with what you know deep down is true-God didn't create us... we created him!

I rest my case. You can't just be content to not believe you have to cast aspersions on those of us that do you feel like you have to convince us that you're right.

I rest my case. You can't just be content to not believe you have to cast aspersions on those of us that do you feel like you have to convince us that you're right.

I don't think he's trying to convince us he's right, I think he's trying to convince himself that he's right. :idunno:

You can call it God or intelligent design, whatever makes you happy, but you need to check the opinion of all of your fellow scientists and see if they believe in a "big bang". Review the study of the age of the planet and see if you can find some of the leading scientific authority and see if they agree on what they refer to as "big bang" only in name because it doesn't fit any theorum with how the whole thing started. An overwhelming number believe in intelligent design. But you keep on believing in those aliens because of some "science" predictions. I think our definitions of science are just different.

Yes, there is debate among some scientists about the big bang. A new model uses quantum physics to complement Einstein's Theory of General Relativity. The Big Bang singularity arises from the mathematics of general relativity but the math only explains what happened immediately after and not at or before the singularity. The new model, which avoids singularities, may be able to account for dark matter or dark energy, which makes up most of the visible universe. Einstein's equations work right up to the point of the singularity and scientists extrapolate backward from there. Regardless of whether the universe is 13.8 billion (that's with a "b") years old or whether it is infinitely old as the new model asserts, our universe was once very, very, very small and very, very, very hot. The fact that there is a very, very hot fireball very early on has been confirmed by science. The question concerns the singularity. The new model includes elements of both quantum gravity and general relativity . Most scientists still believe that the Big Bang is the most plausible explanation but dark matter and dark energy are not explained by the BB singularity. The infinite universe theory may account for that dark stuff.

I don't think he's trying to convince us he's right, I think he's trying to convince himself that he's right. :idunno:

No, I'm just trying to convince you that you believing in fairies is perfectly okay and me believing in quantum physics is perfectly okay. Fairies and pixie dust doesn't have to work for me and mathematical equations don't have to work for you. If you believing you will see dead relatives again someday makes you happy, then by all means hang on to that thought. If me believing that general relativity equations define the order of the universe and makes me content, then I'm going to think in that direction. I'm fine with you believing whatever you like. Now, if you start believing that Marvin Lewis is the Bengals' answer going forward, I'll come right out and say you are a damn nut. :)