South Carolina Officer Charged With Murder

Clyde

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously this guy is straight up guilty of murder and I hope he goes away for the rest of his life. I am pro death penalty btw.

I will still defend police though because for every citizen shot by cops, there is a cop not going home tonight because of some fool. Aside from that, there are many more instances of the police helping people rather than hurting. Again, the media doesn't want you to see those stories though unless they need a feel good filler.

Obviously this guy is straight up guilty of murder and I hope he goes away for the rest of his life. I am pro death penalty btw.

I will still defend police though because for every citizen shot by cops, there is a cop not going home tonight because of some fool. Aside from that, there are many more instances of the police helping people rather than hurting. Again, the media doesn't want you to see those stories though unless they need a feel good filler.

In general, the media will write about what sells, period.

Just to clarify: What this man is an absolute travesty.

Not all cops are like him.

Agreed.

He makes cops look bad though because you wonder what would have happened if this hadn't been recorded. If nothing else, it's debatable whether or not there should be body-cams. Without video, this guy is believed and there aren't really a ton of people who even know about it.

Agreed.

He makes cops look bad though because you wonder what would have happened if this hadn't been recorded. If nothing else, it's debatable whether or not there should be body-cams. Without video, this guy is believed and there aren't really a ton of people who even know about it.

I'd hope that the evidence would still show what happened.

Regardless, the police who go out and do their jobs the right way each and every day shouldn't be judged by this guys actions.

I've watched the video twice and can't think of any reason why he'd shoot him.

If he tries to fight the charge, I wonder if his defense will be focused on Tennessee v. Garner. Did the victim actually take his taser or not? I can't tell in the video.

I'd hope that the evidence would still show what happened.

Regardless, the police who go out and do their jobs the right way each and every day shouldn't be judged by this guys actions.

I've watched the video twice and can't think of any reason why he'd shoot him.

If he tries to fight the charge, I wonder if his defense will be focused on Tennessee v. Garner. Did the victim actually take his taser or not? I can't tell in the video.

I'm pretty skeptical that works. If those are two citizens, then that's most likely murder. He also appears to go pick up his taser off the ground and didn't appear to be in any danger. Garner would probably help the prosecution more than the defense, IMO.

Either way, there's some real problems with the officer's story and what the video seems to indicate if I'm reading his initial report correctly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-is-charged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html?_r=0

"Moments after the struggle, Officer Slager reported on his radio: “Shots fired and the subject is down. He took my Taser,” according to police reports.

But the video, which was taken by a bystander and provided to The New York Times by the Scott family’s lawyer, presents a different account. The video begins in the vacant lot, apparently moments after Officer Slager fired his Taser. Wires, which carry the electrical current from the stun gun, appear to be extending from Mr. Scott’s body as the two men tussle and Mr. Scott turns to run.

Something — it is not clear whether it is the stun gun — is either tossed or knocked to the ground behind the two men, and Officer Slager draws his gun, the video shows. When the officer fires, Mr. Scott appears to be 15 to 20 feet away and fleeing. He falls after the last of eight shots.

The officer then runs back toward where the initial scuffle occurred and picks something up off the ground. Moments later, he drops an object near Mr. Scott’s body, the video shows."

I'm pretty skeptical that works. If those are two citizens, then that's most likely murder. He also appears to go pick up his taser off the ground and didn't appear to be in any danger. Garner would probably help the prosecution more than the defense, IMO.

Either way, there's some real problems with the officer's story and what the video seems to indicate if I'm reading his initial report correctly.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I stated in my post that I can't see any justifiable reason for him to shoot the victim.

I just wonder if he will try and use that case as his defense.

This was not a kid who was shot it was a 50 yr old man who they say may have been fleeing over back child support owed. Apparently in SC the laws put deadbeats in jail and are pretty harsh.

With that said, this cop made a terrible decision that makes many people skeptical of police in general. Why didn't he chase the suspect? The guy looked like he was not running very fast and aren't police trained to take down assailantd?

The officer does look like he enjoys donuts so I guess it was just easier to pull his piece and shoot the guy in the back.

This is awful and kudos to the police chief for acting swiftly.