Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Calling the Highlands baseball team "Dirty Birds" is a GROSS understatement

Featured Replies

So there wasn't urine sprayed on the player?

 

No there was urine involved but he was told by a parent of one of the kids in the room that it was a prank made to seem as if the kid peed the bed. I'm assuming it was poured either on him or near him. Regardless, it was disgusting and stupid. You don't do that to your teammates period. If you feel the need to do that and make someone be the butt of a disgusting joke than you don't have respect for that player and you are a bad teammate. I don't want you on my team if it's me.

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Views 154.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So its been how long and this is just now coming out. We have gone from spraying urine to wetting the bed prank six days later. Still disgusting either way. Avoid the bad pr and just come out in the beginning and say this. Still, something is not adding up here.

No there was urine involved but he was told by a parent of one of the kids in the room that it was a prank made to seem as if the kid peed the bed. I'm assuming it was poured either on him or near him. Regardless, it was disgusting and stupid. You don't do that to your teammates period. If you feel the need to do that and make someone be the butt of a disgusting joke than you don't have respect for that player and you are a bad teammate. I don't want you on my team if it's me.

 

Good post. I guess what is key here is how the "victim" fits in here. Was it a stupid prank, or has this kid been bullied in the past? I grew up with brothers and raised two boys. I can see how this could have been a gross prank, but I can also see how it could have been a cruel act of bullying. It is my understanding that the boy quit the team. That makes it sound more like bullying. I admit that I am only speculating.

Are the parents of the kid satisfied with the punishment of those involved?

No there was urine involved but he was told by a parent of one of the kids in the room that it was a prank made to seem as if the kid peed the bed. I'm assuming it was poured either on him or near him. Regardless, it was disgusting and stupid. You don't do that to your teammates period. If you feel the need to do that and make someone be the butt of a disgusting joke than you don't have respect for that player and you are a bad teammate. I don't want you on my team if it's me.

 

If that were truly the case, why not just use water? Or Mountain Dew?

 

THAT would be a prank. This is not something that can be played off as a prank.

You clearly don't if you want to humiliate him further by calling up any news station that'll listen. The kid has been through enough. That's horrible parenting IMO.

 

So ... the bully's continue to win ... because he is so humiliated that he shouldn't stand up for himself? Not sure I follow the logic.

 

If this young man was bullied ... and there were other instances of him being bullied .. It would be a great statement to speak out and let others know that they do not have to put up with being bullied ... or they don't have to sit around and do nothing when someone throws pee on them.

 

It sounds like the young man stood up for himself when this happened ... defended himself ... then made a decision that he doesn't want to be part of a program where he is treated like a 2nd class citizen. For his sake ... and the sake of others ... I hope he continues to stand up for himself ... because that may be the difference in helping someone else who is treated in a similar manner.

 

If the young man wants to speak out ... I will stand with him on TV, Sportscenter, Good Morning America or the Price is Right.

 

Encouraging your son ... or any child to speak out against people who bully others or treat them with disrespect is NOT BAD PARENTING. It is a statement made to whoever will listen .. that they are not going to tolerate being disrespected by anyone.

Good post. I guess what is key here is how the "victim" fits in here. Was it a stupid prank, or has this kid been bullied in the past? I grew up with brothers and raised two boys. I can see how this could have been a gross prank, but I can also see how it could have been a cruel act of bullying. It is my understanding that the boy quit the team. That makes it sound more like bullying. I admit that I am only speculating.

Are the parents of the kid satisfied with the punishment of those involved?

 

Just because I relayed what one person stated doesn't mean it's gospel. I'm sure that was the easiest explanation when confronted and like back to live action stated...why not come out earlier in this thread and nip it in the bud. Clearly there are posters who frequent the Dirty Bird threads who are honoring some sort of gag order. It's probably in their best Interest as well. I'm sure it will come out and the Administration will get the whole story. Unless they all collude and stick to a particular story than the truth will come out. JMO

So ... the bully's continue to win ... because he is so humiliated that he shouldn't stand up for himself? Not sure I follow the logic.

 

If this young man was bullied ... and there were other instances of him being bullied .. It would be a great statement to speak out and let others know that they do not have to put up with being bullied ... or they don't have to sit around and do nothing when someone throws pee on them.

 

It sounds like the young man stood up for himself when this happened ... defended himself ... then made a decision that he doesn't want to be part of a program where he is treated like a 2nd class citizen. For his sake ... and the sake of others ... I hope he continues to stand up for himself ... because that may be the difference in helping someone else who is treated in a similar manner.

 

If the young man wants to speak out ... I will stand with him on TV, Sportscenter, Good Morning America or the Price is Right.

 

Encouraging your son ... or any child to speak out against people who bully others or treat them with disrespect is NOT BAD PARENTING. It is a statement made to whoever will listen .. that they are not going to tolerate being disrespected by anyone.

 

¿I thought Bob Barker's pet cause was spaying/neutering your pets?

Good post. I guess what is key here is how the "victim" fits in here. Was it a stupid prank, or has this kid been bullied in the past? I grew up with brothers and raised two boys. I can see how this could have been a gross prank, but I can also see how it could have been a cruel act of bullying. It is my understanding that the boy quit the team. That makes it sound more like bullying. I admit that I am only speculating.

Are the parents of the kid satisfied with the punishment of those involved?

 

They are not allowed to know according to those involved in a school setting.

No there was urine involved but he was told by a parent of one of the kids in the room that it was a prank made to seem as if the kid peed the bed. I'm assuming it was poured either on him or near him. Regardless, it was disgusting and stupid. You don't do that to your teammates period. If you feel the need to do that and make someone be the butt of a disgusting joke than you don't have respect for that player and you are a bad teammate. I don't want you on my team if it's me.

 

You can do that with water can't you. Sounds like an excuse to explain things away because it went bad.

¿I thought Bob Barker's pet cause was spaying/neutering your pets?

 

Ha, ha ... TOUCHE' (and thanks for the laugh ... much needed in this thread)

They are not allowed to know according to those involved in a school setting.

 

I've run up against that a couple times, don't like it.

I think some people are forgetting we are dealing with 18 year olds. That does not justify what happened, or make it okay, but lets remember that this was likely a "Hey dude, how funny would it be if we poured this on -----" incident.

 

And many of us do not know the full context. I'd bet the players did not intend to actually hurt the victim, they were likely just looking for a few laughs. And perhaps they were provoked and overreacted? It makes no sense for someone on the complete outside (like me) to get all upset and concerned without knowing the full story.

 

Also, FWIW St. Olaf College (D3 school in Minnesota) just recently cancelled their baseball team's season because of hazing. I hope for the innocent players on the team this does not happen.

 

Bullying someone on purpose or doing something to get a few laughs is the same thing and is still bullying either way. Who cares if they were doing it for a few laughs, I am sure it wasn't funny to the person they did it to. There is no excuse at all for doing something to someone that would hurt someone. So yeah they probably were doing it because they thought they would be funny. However they also should have thought about how that person they were doing it to would feel. So that is their fault for not thinking that, and should definitely be kicked off of the team and should at a minimum be suspended a few days from school.

 

So while their may be more details to come, the only thing that does seem to be a fact is that did happen. So those things I mentioned should be at least the minimum punishment they receive.

Serious question did you play basketball, baseball or football in high school? Have you ever coached kids for extended period of time in any of the above sports.

 

If you answer yes to any of them, then this behavior shouldn't be shocking. I just don't understand the mindset of extreme punishment for offenders if this was their first offense. I'd rather keep them on the team where hopefully I can help them not make anymore poor decisions.

 

I think a suspension works best because it keeps the teammates around them and if the suspensions causes losses they see first hand how their poor decision making hurts those around them. But I'm not disowning a kid over this , if he hasn't been trouble in the past . In no way should that be the case.

 

Disagree in this case. I have coached for many years and I have always truly believed sports is a great way to teach kids life lessons and I am usually always against kicking a kid off a team. However in a case like this I do think kicking a player or players off the team is the right and only move. Yes would it suck for those players if this was the first time they did something, yes it would. However would suspending them a few games really effect and hurt them more than the person who got pee sprayed on them? It wasn't like their actions was something stupid that effected only them, their actions effected another person. Another person who will always have to remember that time they were the kid who got pee sprayed on them or however the pee got put on them. So does suspending them only for a little bit of time really fit the crime of effecting another person like they did? Not at all.

 

So yes usually I am against kicking players off of a team, however first time or not this is an incident that should require them being kicked off. Them being suspended a few games doesn't hurt them or the team at all because at the end of the day only a few games matter during the season.

It wasn't uncommon after basketball games to wait until someone shampooed up in the shower then everybody would whizz on them. Not really the same because, well, you are in the shower, after all.

 

We often waged dorm wars with our buddies on the floor back at school. Couple squirts of hand lotion in somebody's toothpaste was always a winner. Whizzing in someone's shampoo was another.

 

I never saw that in 4 seasons of basketball, football or baseball. If that had happened when I played someone would have been picking their teeth up off of the floor.

This is a tough situation for all involved and I hope a positive outcome will come out of this in the end. Coach Baioni has been running a respectful program from day one and does not need this type of bullcrap polluting this team. I have no problem with teammates pranking each other as long as they are both laughing in the end.

Edited by Randy Parker
Rule 8

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.