Plane crash an act of terrorism?

All Tell

I can play this fun game too.

terrorism

/ˈtɛrəˌrɪzəm/

noun

1.systematic use of violence and intimidation to achieve some goal

Crashing a plane is certainly violent and I'd say his goal was achieved.

Terrorism.

When the definition states that it is to achieve some goal, my guess is the goal is above and beyond crashing a plane. In other words, a broader goal like to install fear into a populace for political purposes or something like that. The goal of 9-11 was not two knock down two buildings, the goal was to strike fear in the US in the (failed) hope the US would end support to Israel.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm not mistaken, don't 2 people have to be present in the cockpit at all times?

I know when I was flying back from St. Lucia in December, both pilots used the restroom during the flight. When one went into the restroom, one of the flight attendants went into the cockpit, until the pilot returned.

That is FAA procedure. Presumably they would have a similar procedure in other countries.

When the definition states that it is to achieve some goal, my guess is the goal is above and beyond crashing a plane. In other words, a broader goal like to install fear into a populace for political purposes or something like that. The goal of 9-11 was not two knock down two buildings, the goal was to strike fear in the US in the (failed) hope the US would end support to Israel.
You can't just assume they meant to put something political in there. If they meant to put it in there they would have put it in there.

If I'm not mistaken, don't 2 people have to be present in the cockpit at all times?

I know when I was flying back from St. Lucia in December, both pilots used the restroom during the flight. When one went into the restroom, one of the flight attendants went into the cockpit, until the pilot returned.

Only in the US, Internationally no that is not the case.

That is FAA procedure. Presumably they would have a similar procedure in other countries.

FAA (U.S.) regulations are a lot more specific and strict that Europe. I remember having overhead bins still being closed by a stewardess while the plane was initiating take-off one time. Maybe they have tightened up but the FAA does set a high standard.

Then what was his goal? That's what I'm hung up on in this definition.
I'm honestly and very truthfully not trying to be a jerk here, but it doesn't really matter what you think of the definition.

He had to have had some goal in doing it. Whether that be terror or to get attention or to see how big of a boom it was. He used violence to achieve a goal.

He succeeded. Terrorism.

I'm honestly and very truthfully not trying to be a jerk here, but it doesn't really matter what you think of the definition.

He had to have had some goal in doing it. Whether that be terror or to get attention or to see how big of a boom it was. He used violence to achieve a goal.

He succeeded. Terrorism.

I kill my wife to get the life insurance money.

Terrorism?

It's an act of violence used to achieve a goal.

This is why that definition is unworkable. Terrorism has to be something different.

So no chance that one pilot left the cockpit to use the restroom, the other pilot re-locks the door (per policy, perhaps) and then had a heart attack?

Reports say that the co-pilot's breathing was normal.

During the final minutes of the flight's descent, pounding could be heard on the cockpit door as plane alarms sounded, but the co-pilot's breathing was normal throughout the whole time, Robin said.

Germanwings co-pilot wanted to 'destroy the plane,' locked pilot out of cockpit, says prosecutor | Fox News

So no chance that one pilot left the cockpit to use the restroom, the other pilot re-locks the door (per policy, perhaps) and then had a heart attack?

Door would have been in "normal" position. So when the one pilot left, the door would lock behind him. When he returned he would use a keypad to unlock the door and regain entry to the cockpit.

It appears in this case, after the first pilot left the cockpit the other pilot got up and switched the door to "locked" position. By making that switch the keypad no longer unlocked the door.

Terrorism?

This is why that definition is unworkable. Terrorism has to be something different.

No it doesn't, you're only thinking of the word in the sense that you think it is defined as. It can be more than that.

Terrorism?

If you had threaten to kill your wife instead, what are you charged with? Terroristic Threatening

Not sure how they determine this, but according to the black box the co-pilot was awake and breathing at impact. They also said that safeguards would have to be manually over ridden to crash the plane in that way.