Overtime in college basketball

strongopenyon

After watching the UK game tonight, it reminded me of something I have always had a problem with about overtime in basketball games.

Tonight, after 40 minutes of play the two teams are tied. Then, five more minutes is put on the clock to break the tie. Why five more minutes? Why not three minutes? Why not one minute? Why not one possession for each team? Why not two possessions for each team?

I have always questioned why five more minutes added to the game is the proper way of breaking the tie.

Anyone?

After watching the UK game tonight, it reminded me of something I have always had a problem with about overtime in basketball games.

Tonight, after 40 minutes of play the two teams are tied. Then, five more minutes is put on the clock to break the tie. Why five more minutes? Why not three minutes? Why not one minute? Why not one possession for each team? Why not two possessions for each team?

I have always questioned why five more minutes added to the game is the proper way of breaking the tie.

Anyone?

If the game is still tied after the first overtime, let's go the soccer route. Maybe have a 3-point shooting contest or a game of horse.

Now the Minnesota/Ohio State game is tied in regulation and will go to a five minute overtime.

Does anyone else think there is a better way to break the tie than to add five more minutes to a game tied after 40 minutes?

3 minutes would be the only other option, imo. I'm happy with 5 though.

Now the Minnesota/Ohio State game is tied in regulation and will go to a five minute overtime.

Does anyone else think there is a better way to break the tie than to add five more minutes to a game tied after 40 minutes?

No. I like it.

If the game is still tied after the first overtime, let's go the soccer route. Maybe have a 3-point shooting contest or a game of horse.

Technically, the soccer route plays two 15-minute overtime periods before moving to penalties. But your point is taken.