Safety Razors

GrizzlyAdams

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody use one? Been thinking of going this route. I shave every single morning before work and one of the guys I work with has used one for years. Any pros or cons for both? I know you can get like a 100 pack of razors for about 15 bucks off amazon.

Do you mean the double edged safety razor:

safety razor.jpg

Or the plastic disposables you can buy by the bunch?

Anybody use one? Been thinking of going this route. I shave every single morning before work and one of the guys I work with has used one for years. Any pros or cons for both? I know you can get like a 100 pack of razors for about 15 bucks off amazon.

Only thing my dad ever used, so I grew up on them.

Personally I think it's the smoothest shave there is. Easy to cut yourself though. Takes some practice.

I have one, a Dovo and I really like. I have never bought blades off Amazon, I generally buy Merkur blades at Heimerdingers in Louisville, same place I bought my Dovo razor.

Only thing my dad ever used, so I grew up on them.

Personally I think it's the smoothest shave there is. Easy to cut yourself though. Takes some practice.

This is what I've heard and overall seems like a cheaper option in the long run.

I have one, a Dovo and I really like. I have never bought blades off Amazon, I generally buy Merkur blades at Heimerdingers in Louisville, same place I bought my Dovo razor.

I ended up buying a Merkur razor after some reseach. Going to just wing it and give it a shot.

^ Which brings up my next question. Do you guys use shaving soap or what?

I would definitely recommend good quality shaving soap with a badgert hair brush over foam shaving cream out of an aerosal can. My favorite type is Col. Konk (or is it Conk????).

Once you get using the safety razor down to a science, get yourself a strope and a good quality straight razor make from good quality german steal. Mine is a Dovo. The shave will be so close some people report being able to shave every other day. While a good strope and straight razor are not cheap, keep in mind you will never have to buy blades ever again.

I think you will like shaving with a straight razor once you get it down, something rather manly about it.

Once you get using the safety razor down to a science, get yourself a strope and a good quality straight razor make from good quality german steal. Mine is a Dovo. The shave will be so close some people report being able to shave every other day. While a good strope and straight razor are not cheap, keep in mind you will never have to buy blades ever again.

I think you will like shaving with a straight razor once you get it down, something rather manly about it.

Think this could be the main reason I want to shave :lol2:. I used to use electric because it was easier. Then went to gillett razors because I liked the smoothness of it. Now it's just getting expensive.

I was shaving every day when I started teaching. I decided that I didn't like having 8th graders look older than me, so I grew a beard. I shave my neck two, maybe three times a week. I trim it a couple times per month.

Funny story, one of my students who graduated came back to visit this year. His reaction to seeing me with a beard was: "woah Mr. Thrillville, you look like a man."