Gas Price Defy Basic Economics

mexitucky

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was 2.99 in Cincy as late as Saturday (10/11) afternoon. Same place now at 3.11 on Wednesday (10/15) after article in paper says gas prices will fall thru Thanksgiving. Go figure.

Zero chance that gas prices will fall on a major holiday where many people will be traveling to visit their families and relatives. If anything, they will rise.

So why is it still 3.15 in half of Cincy with oil down 20 dollars?

It seems that pricing in Cincy has been higher than elsewhere. That being said, it's 3.15 now, and it was .20-.30 higher just a few weeks ago. So it has been dropping in tow with the other areas, it just had a higher starting point. As to specific reasons as to why it's higher......that I don't understand.

It seems that pricing in Cincy has been higher than elsewhere. That being said, it's 3.15 now, and it was .20-.30 higher just a few weeks ago. So it has been dropping in tow with the other areas, it just had a higher starting point. As to specific reasons as to why it's higher......that I don't understand.

Having grown up in NKY, I was always told when I was younger that gas prices up there were more expensive than other places by 20-30 cents because of the fuel additives they had made. Alas, I actually never tried to actually confirm this. Is this claim true?

Having grown up in NKY' date=' I was always told when I was younger that gas prices up there were more expensive than other places by 20-30 cents because of the fuel additives they had made. Alas, I actually never tried to actually confirm this. Is this claim true?[/quote']

I'm regularly on both sides of the river & Ohio is always cheaper. Sometimes it's only by a few cents,sometimes it's by $0.20.

It seems that pricing in Cincy has been higher than elsewhere. That being said' date=' it's 3.15 now, and it was .20-.30 higher just a few weeks ago. So it has been dropping in tow with the other areas, it just had a higher starting point. As to specific reasons as to why it's higher......that I don't understand.[/quote']

Gouging.

I go to Sams and they don't gouge, they charge a tad over what they pay for gas, or sell for what they pay. Whenever gas prices are at fair market value the regular stations are usually 5-10 cents more than Sams. When there 25-35 cents more that's gouging.

Gouging.

I go to Sams and they don't gouge, they charge a tad over what they pay for gas, or sell for what they pay. Whenever gas prices are at fair market value the regular stations are usually 5-10 cents more than Sams. When there 25-35 cents more that's gouging.

I've had it explained to me before, but I could never understand why gas is one price in one area, and say .20 cents higher a couple miles away. Just where I live in NKY gas varies as much as .30 in a 5 mile radius. I've been told that the stations have to set pricing based on some sort of zoning standard set by the suppliers, but as to the nuts and bolts, and why's, I'm clueless.