You make the call

In the HHS / Harrison County game this past week Harrison had a 4th down and elected to punt.

The punt went almost straight up in the air. It landed 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage and bounced back to the punter. It was picked up by the punter who was standing next to the official. They both stood there motionless for about 3 seconds and then the official blows the ball dead. HHS took over at the spot that the punter picked up the ball.

Is this a live ball that could have been advanced since it did not cross the line of scrimmage?

Should the official have blown the ball dead immediately when it was touched by punter?

Purely a guess but I think that once it is kicked and it wasn't blocked that the punter essentially "downed" the kick. Dead ball.

I believe this is incorrect. I'm fairly certain (but not totally) if a punted ball isn't blocked, and doesn't reach the line of scrimmage, it is a live ball and either team can pick it up and run with it. However, if offensive team recovers it must make the yardage necessary for its first down to retain possession if punt was on fourth down. So in the above case, the punter could have advanced the ball, and the whistle should not have been blown.

Also something to note (if I'm understanding it correctly), in high school under NFHS, if a punt crosses the line of scrimmage and bounces back behind of the line of scrimmage, the punting team can recover and advance the ball. If they recover the ball (regardless of advancement), they are awarded a 1st down.

Ball is dead as soon as it touches the punter. Just like if the punt return team downs the ball further down field.

Again, if the punted ball didn't cross the line of scrimmage, either team could pick it up and advance it (as long as the punt wasn't blocked). This is one of those goofy situations that you rarely see.

Also something to note (if I'm understanding it correctly), in high school under NFHS, if a punt crosses the line of scrimmage and bounces back behind of the line of scrimmage, the punting team can recover and advance the ball. If they recover the ball (regardless of advancement), they are awarded a 1st down.

This I'm not sure of. I'll have to ask one of my referee buddies about this one.

This I'm not sure of. I'll have to ask one of my referee buddies about this one.

I looked at it again, and the punting team can advance. However, to get a first down, they must advance the ball beyond the marker. They are not automatically awarded a first down for recovery.

I believe it was a live ball and could be advanced.

I have always wanted to see a rugby style kicker us this to their advantage to execute the perfect fake punt. Roll all the way to the right and let the gunner get down field. Punt it softly to the left behind the line of scrimmage and have someone with good hands waiting to take it on the hop and get up field.

I believe it was a live ball and could be advanced. I have always wanted to see a rugby style kicker us this to their advantage to execute the perfect fake punt. Roll all the way to the right and let the gunner get down field. Punt it softly to the left behind the line of scrimmage and have someone with good hands waiting to take it on the hop and get up field.

THAT would be awesome.

Kicking team can recover and advance if recovered behind neutral has to reach line to gain for first down . If ball is touched beyond neutral zone by r and rebounds behind neutral zone k can recover and get a first down . K can not advance kicked ball recovered beyond neutral zone

Haven't seen the video, so I am not sure, but I was sitting right in line with the punt and it looked like the punt crossed the line of scrimmage by 5 yards and then took a backwards bounce towards HC. The tape doesn't lie, but I would be surprised if it didn't go beyond the line of scrimmage.