Votto closes the Joey Votto Foundation

NKY Bandit

Not a Votto fan, as you well know, but I'm getting that Carl Pickens feeling with this guy. I think he's unhappy in Cincy, tanked the season to collect a fat paycheck and is a cancer to the organization.

Dear Friends:

Thank you for generously supporting the Joey Votto Foundation. I want to personally inform you that as the 2014 MLB season comes to a close, as will my foundation.

This is strictly a personal decision. I am proud of all we have accomplished in a short amount of time. By participating in our Monthly Mission Program, more than 100 veterans and their families found camaraderie, healing and purpose through community service. In addition, the work that we started to ensure families have access to the resources and support they need to overcome traumatic events will continue at the newly established UC Health Stress Center under the leadership of Dr. Kathleen Chard.

I remain committed to giving back to our Cincinnati community. However, I look forward to keeping my future volunteer and philanthropic efforts private. I appreciate your understanding on this matter.

This annual report attempts to capture our community impact. I want you to know that lives have been changed thanks to your generosity.

Thank you for supporting my foundation. I appreciate your support on and off the field.

Gratefully,

Joey Votto

I think he didn't train as he should have, hasn't rehabbed as hard as he should have and is in no hurry to earn the paycheck he's been stealing all season.

Can't disagree here.

I think Votto has incredible talent, better than almost anyone else when he's at his best, but he has NO idea or want to put his talent and the mental part of the game together. He just doesn't have IT. Something is missing there. Don't see any passion from him. Sometimes you get a glimpse of emotion but rarely. I'm just not a fan. Knew it was a bad deal from the start but didn't know how bad.

But I don't see how closing his organization ties into dislike for the city, I guess.

Guy just seems societally detatched. Doesn't seem like he understands that his talent should be the bedrock of a team. He seems to be of the mindset, "I'll do my job, everyone should go do there's." Would be nice if he showed just a little initiative. When you admit in articles that you had to go out of your way to have a conversation with teammates, that's a red herring from your star. ESPECIALLY when he's going to be collecting 20mil+ for the forseeable future and eating up the roster's payroll.

I don't think he has been the same player since his dad died. He's lost that lovin' feeling for baseball, IMO.

I could see that. Truthfully, my dad has been such a HUGE part of my brother's baseball journey from t-ball to the pros, that if he were to pass (I'm knocking on every single piece of wood around right now) I think it would take a huge piece of my brother. I don't know if he'd lose the passion, but...he wouldn't be the same player. It does seem to me Votto just isn't emotionally or mentally connected anymore, esp. with the team and the game.

I’m a Votto fan but he has lost his “drive”. Don’t know if it’s mental (depression over his loss of his Dad) or physical because of leg injuries (afraid to go full out at the risk of injury again) or maybe he and his girlfriend split. He’s a serious guy and seems wrapped real tight, but then you see glimpses of him letting his hair down like the hilarious MLB Mountie interview with Chris Rose. He just doesn’t look like he’s having fun when he’s playing ball. As much as I think Dat Dude is somewhat of a hotdog, he’s always having fun and makes great plays. Votto needs to try a little of that. JMO.