Is AAU causing transfers?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like who? Name names.

I'm just saying that in general, there seem to be kids who transfer to play with AAU teammates who aren't scrutinized by fans and posters while there are others who don't really have the same thing going for them. Maybe it's a thing with better players getting more attention, but there are plenty of teams where they have kids come in, and on the surface it appears that there's a common strand of AAU affiliation, some programs just seem to take more heat for it than others.

I'm just saying that in general, there seem to be kids who transfer to play with AAU teammates who aren't scrutinized by fans and posters while there are others who don't really have the same thing going for them. Maybe it's a thing with better players getting more attention, but there are plenty of teams where they have kids come in, and on the surface it appears that there's a common strand of AAU affiliation, some programs just seem to take more heat for it than others.

We must see different things. I see everybody crying about every transfer and evey little thing about the transfer. Their AAU affiliation, where their parents work, who they live with, blah blah blah.

We must see different things. I see everybody crying about every transfer and evey little thing about the transfer. Their AAU affiliation, where their parents work, who they live with, blah blah blah.

I'm not crying about transfers at all. My vote would be what most consider the "Wild West" if I had a say in it. I just think it's ironic to see programs and fans of programs who are both doing the same things calling one another out and talking about how things are need fixed because of what everyone else is doing.

I'm not for kids moving multiple times, being trafficked for their athletic ability, things like that. I don't really have a problem with a kid thinking about it and moving to what they think is a better situation though.

Like you've said yourself, no one complains when it's their team who benefits. That's why I can't really get mad at any school until there's evidence of the things I've mentioned above.

Maybe I overestimate the influence of AAU basketball and it's culture, but I can't help but think that it's leading to transfers because it's a time when coaches get kids and their parents away from the rest of their program, their high school coaches, etc., things like new gear and trips to play in tournaments are thrown out in front of them, and it's easier to influence them about where they should go play in the future. Some of those people probably are thinking of the kid's best interest, but I can guarantee you that they aren't all doing that.

To the above, I don't think every AAU program does that either. I do think that the higher up the food chain you go, the more likely you'll be to see some shadiness though.

I'm not crying about transfers at all. My vote would be what most consider the "Wild West" if I had a say in it. I just think it's ironic to see programs and fans of programs who are both doing the same things calling one another out and talking about how things are need fixed because of what everyone else is doing.

I'm not for kids moving multiple times, being trafficked for their athletic ability, things like that. I don't really have a problem with a kid thinking about it and moving to what they think is a better situation though.

Like you've said yourself, no one complains when it's their team who benefits. That's why I can't really get mad at any school until there's evidence of the things I've mentioned above.

Maybe I overestimate the influence of AAU basketball and it's culture, but I can't help but think that it's leading to transfers because it's a time when coaches get kids and their parents away from the rest of their program, their high school coaches, etc., things like new gear and trips to play in tournaments are thrown out in front of them, and it's easier to influence them about where they should go play in the future. Some of those people probably are thinking of the kid's best interest, but I can guarantee you that they aren't all doing that.

To the above, I don't think every AAU program does that either. I do think that the higher up the food chain you go, the more likely you'll be to see some shadiness though.

I do think you overestimate the AAU programs. Until proven otherwise I'll never believe that AAU programs care where their kids go to school at. I think the AAU culture is influential in kids leaving one school for another because these kids switch up AAU teams all of the time. The Travelers will be scooping up kids from somewhere for their teams next year. I don't think AAU programs are placing kids though. I wouldn't be surprised if they were I just don't think they are. They get zero benefits from it.

In the Cincy area, I've had close contact with numerous AAU programs (some recent, some distant past). In that time, lots of talk about kids playing HS together by the kids, not the coaches or team admin. As the kids got older, many went to different districts to avoid playing together- not because they didn't like each other but because they didn't want to share the ball. Easier to make highlight mix tapes if you're Batman, not Robin.

I do think you overestimate the AAU programs. Until proven otherwise I'll never believe that AAU programs care where their kids go to school at. I think the AAU culture is influential in kids leaving one school for another because these kids switch up AAU teams all of the time. The Travelers will be scooping up kids from somewhere for their teams next year. I don't think AAU programs are placing kids though. I wouldn't be surprised if they were I just don't think they are. They get zero benefits from it.

I think some coaches care. Waggener got most of the Louisville Legends two years ago and this year most of the Ky Gators 14u went to Fern Creek. They will send there kids to the schools that help them or let them use facilities. AAU caoches have strong influence on where kids go and most families liesten to them.

Just about all of the ville team is at Trinity. Been playing with them for years. Darryl Hicks also went to Trinity and played with the ville. A lot of aau teams that take older kids don't. But coaches who have younger kids do. Saw Fern Creek coach on the end of the bench during Gators run at State aau.

When I was growing up AAU wasn't talked about a lot I don't know how long it's been popular but I've always been Of the opinion that the kids can play summer ball but play with the team they will be playing with this fall. Everyone getting better together and team continuity improving. That's just my opinion and I know it's not a popular one but it is what it is. Wouldn't hurt my fellings one bit if AAU ceased to exsist and summer ball was played with ur school team. Transfers would probably go down a bit too. Again just my opinion. :thumb:

Because AAU coaches have never angled and used kids on their team to try and land high school jobs...