Is AAU causing transfers?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes...and no. Many times kids make new friends playing AAU and want to continue playing with those guys. In other cases, guys want to stay put and be 'the man' at their school and aren't as concerned about the HS game. A lot of D1 guys would prefer to skip HS if they could- too much double/triple teaming on a nightly basis.

I always thought it was odd that HS coaches would be coaching AAU teams. I see that a lot in OH, less in KY although you do see it some. Seems like there's an opportunity to pull a kid into your program. Does OH still limit a roster to 3 kids from the same school?

Why would Dow leave Ballard for Mercer Co? If parents got a job no problem. Highly doubt that. Two Louisville kids moving to Taylor Co. I guess jobs are just opening up everywhere. Hey if they are legit so be it. Moving in with coaches and players families to me are not legit. aau seems to be causing this more. Just so happens Dow played on the same aau team as a Mercer Co. kid. Be surprised if he is not living with his family.

The Ballard transfers are puzzling... and slightly troubling. That place is a basketball powerhouse that gives kids the opportunity to be seen regularly thanks to their big-time schedule and a regional knowledge of their program. No disrespect to Mercer County but... seriously? No doubt that the visibility of AAU means that playing for a big-time high school means less and less every year, but this is a new one for me.

Is AAU causing transfers? No. I don't think so. I think AAU plays a part in where some kids may end up at but I don't think AAU causes it. AAU brings people from different backgrounds together and doors of opportunity are opened for people in some cases. There are rules in place if people make the decision to relocate or have their kids transfer. People can bellyache and moan about transfers and cry that the KHSAA does this and that but anyone who transfers goes through a process to attain eligibility and if those requirements are met the kid is eligible. If not, the kid sits out a year. If monkey business went on the KHSAA investigates and makes a ruling.

See: Aaron Floyd, Cordia

I'm not going into specifics on Dow or Bell as it isn't my place to do so. It's none of my business and their circumstances are between their families and the KHSAA. Bell was ruled eligible in July.

^ For the most part, I agree. And I hope my post didn't make it sound like I thought something crazy was going on that would lead Berry and Dow to leave Ballard.

It's funny... not that many years ago I'd have thrown my head back and laughed at a misfortune like that for Ballard. Now, I'm really going to miss them playing here in town. Their departures have taken a lot of excitement out of the Seventh and I wish them both luck at their new schools.

Why would Dow leave Ballard for Mercer Co? If parents got a job no problem. Highly doubt that. Two Louisville kids moving to Taylor Co. I guess jobs are just opening up everywhere. Hey if they are legit so be it. Moving in with coaches and players families to me are not legit. aau seems to be causing this more. Just so happens Dow played on the same aau team as a Mercer Co. kid. Be surprised if he is not living with his family.

Jobs may not be in the equation for all families. Doubt this is the same as Toyota offering jobs to all the parents of kids going to Scott County......(Hoody said it so it must be true).

I'm a little surprised this is thread, as the obvious answer is, yes, it plays a large role and has for years. Thing is Louisville was typically the biggest benefactor of these transfers in the past. Not so much from outside Jefferson County to Jeff. Co., but more from one school to a more "traditional power."

It happened so frequently that the state banned all high school coaches from coaching or attending games of their players during the AAU season for a time.

I'm a little surprised to see kids leave Jefferson County, but AAU and transfers have gone hand in hand for years, and not just in Ky. Much worse in other states.

I'm a little surprised this is thread, as the obvious answer is, yes, it plays a large role and has for years. Thing is Louisville was typically the biggest benefactor of these transfers in the past. Not so much from outside Jefferson County to Jeff. Co., but more from one school to a more "traditional power."

It happened so frequently that the state banned all high school coaches from coaching or attending games of their players during the AAU season for a time.

I'm a little surprised to see kids leave Jefferson County, but AAU and transfers have gone hand in hand for years, and not just in Ky. Much worse in other states.

This. It's only a concern now because they are leaving Louisville instead of coming to Louisville. :lol2: