Anderson (OH) 1 Covington Catholic 0 Scrimmage

Seems you would have learned that by now watching NDA pummel your lady Bluebirds the last several years with their possession style game.

This probably deserves its own thread. Both NDA and a CC get a significant larger portion of kids who play high level club soccer than their peers. Why on the girls side has NDA turned that into domination and on the boys side Cov. Cath. has not (or so we don't get caught in splitting hairs - Cov. Cath. has not to the degree NDA has)?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This probably deserves its own thread. Both NDA and a CC get a significant larger portion of kids who play high level club soccer than their peers. Why on the girls side has NDA turned that into domination and on the boys side Cov. Cath. has not (or so we don't get caught in splitting hairs - Cov. Cath. has not to the degree NDA has)?

Because that is not true really, although it is the perception. I would say that NDA gets a much higher percentage of high level girl players than CCH does on the boys side. CovCath gets its share but not like NDA. NDA had 45 girls trying out for their freshman team this year and CCH had 25 or so. The boys high level talent is much more scattered about than the girls, with many programs having 2, 3 or 4 high level players. Enough to keep you competitive but not top in the state.

Last year Highlands had 3-4 high level senior club players. CCH had none. In years past Ryle has had 4-5 in the same class as well.

Because that is not true really, although it is the perception. I would say that NDA gets a much higher percentage of high level girl players than CCH does on the boys side. CovCath gets its share but not like NDA. NDA had 45 girls trying out for their freshman team this year and CCH had 25 or so. The boys high level talent is much more scattered about than the girls, with many programs having 2, 3 or 4 high level players. Enough to keep you competitive but not top in the state.

Last year Highlands had 3-4 high level senior club players. CCH had none. In years past Ryle has had 4-5 in the same class as well.

How many of CovCath's 25 kids trying out for the freshmen team had come up through a select program? Nearly all?

That question doesn't mean the same as it did even 6 or 7 years a go. The select programs have many different levels now....some would actually be classified as lower than what us old timers called "rec" several years ago. I do not even think there are rec leagues any more....are there?

So today, the answer is nearly all.......90 percent

6 or 7 years ago, the answer would be 5 or 6 players......

That question doesn't mean the same as it did even 6 or 7 years a go. The select programs have many different levels now....some would actually be classified as lower than what us old timers called "rec" several years ago. I do not even think there are rec leagues any more....are there?

So today, the answer is nearly all.......90 percent

6 or 7 years ago, the answer would be 5 or 6 players......

Very fair point, let me tweak the question: how many of the 25 would be 1st or 2nd division select players?

I watched the CCH frosh dismantle the Ryle frosh tonight (it was 3-0 when I left and Ryle had no shots on goal) and I would say close to half of the CCH frosh didn't even get into the game (bad move). The starting 11 for CCH had about 5-6 players that I would classify as first division players with the rest a mix of 2nd/3rd division. Ryle didn't have much but their frosh team is typically 8th graders and frosh that didn't make JV.

As I said, 5-6 higher level kids on CCH and almost half the team I didn't see. I would say that the last three years are out of the ordinary for CCH..........three very good looking classes in a row. I think the new coach attracts talent. Just my opinion.

I watched the CCH frosh dismantle the Ryle frosh tonight (it was 3-0 when I left and Ryle had no shots on goal) and I would say close to half of the CCH frosh didn't even get into the game (bad move). The starting 11 for CCH had about 5-6 players that I would classify as first division players with the rest a mix of 2nd/3rd division. Ryle didn't have much but their frosh team is typically 8th graders and frosh that didn't make JV.

As I said, 5-6 higher level kids on CCH and almost half the team I didn't see. I would say that the last three years are out of the ordinary for CCH..........three very good looking classes in a row. I think the new coach attracts talent. Just my opinion.

Finished 4-0 and several kids didn't play for CCH and several others only played the last few minutes. 3 games in 4 days this week for them. Not sure I understand that. Late subs didn't look that bad. Especially compared to the competition. Does coach get a bonus for goal differential?

Last year Highlands had exactly 2.

Not sure I agree with this... Most schools do not have that many in a given class, definitely not on a consistent basis. When I look at the CCH roster this year they definitely have "enough" high level players, it is up to the coaches to make it work.

I can tell you that Ryle has 3 very good Freshman this year, they are all 3 on Varsity though.

I can tell you that Ryle has 3 very good Freshman this year, they are all 3 on Varsity though.

I figured that if Ryle had much they would have them on JV as they usually do at the frosh level. 3 frosh on varsity tells me they don't have much in the upper level classes. I've rarely seen a frosh make much of an impact against good varsity teams but have to see them play I guess.

Last year Highlands had exactly 2.

I'd certainly put Colin Dean in with Garbig and Davis-Roberts and Clay Frink had he not been in that accident would have been in that high level player. I'm not saying they were all equal in talent but certainly played at the same level for a long time. They had a few more what I'd call second/third division players in that senior class as well.

I figured that if Ryle had much they would have them on JV as they usually do at the frosh level. 3 frosh on varsity tells me they don't have much in the upper level classes. I've rarely seen a frosh make much of an impact against good varsity teams but have to see them play I guess.

Not sure what their roles are yet, some could be starting, I still think there is some tinkering being done with the lineups. To your point, I will say that Ryle seems much younger than they have been for the past several seasons, depth does not seem to be there in the upper level classes.

Not sure what their roles are yet, some could be starting, I still think there is some tinkering being done with the lineups. To your point, I will say that Ryle seems much younger than they have been for the past several seasons, depth does not seem to be there in the upper level classes.

I would think that if a frosh isn't starting he should be on JV where he'd play more. Same with a sophomore I'd think. On the boys side, freshmen tend to be so physically overmatched vs. seniors/juniors that unless they are exceptional physically, they risk injury in my opinion. There was not a single frosh on the CCH side last night that I would have wanted to see in a varsity game vs. good competition.