Anderson (OH) 1 Covington Catholic 0 Scrimmage

I would think that if a frosh isn't starting he should be on JV where he'd play more. Same with a sophomore I'd think. On the boys side, freshmen tend to be so physically overmatched vs. seniors/juniors that unless they are exceptional physically, they risk injury in my opinion. There was not a single frosh on the CCH side last night that I would have wanted to see in a varsity game vs. good competition.

I agree with both your points.

If a Freshman is not starting Varsity and playing the majority of the minutes, they should be on JV, playing more minutes will be more beneficial in the long run.

IMO, the other point is the one that is more critical. I am not in favor of allowing the Freshman to play against Seniors. Although they might be their equal in terms of skill, there is typically a huge gap physically. I can tell you on many occasions I have questioned this as I have watched Varsity matches that have 13/14 year olds playing against 17/18/19 year olds. There are several schools that do not have a huge talent pool and when the coach is confronted with this decision, more times than not, they are going to put their best 11 on the pitch, regardless of their class.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my only thought is that you are talking about games.......Frosh/Soph not getting much time in 12 -16 games vs training with the varsity, the varsity coach and getting the actual speed of Varsity vs JV would be one point to keep him on V.....

That is why I like the JV/V Taxi squad that CCH just re-implemented. The players practice with V, play JV games and sit for the V games and can see some minutes.

my only thought is that you are talking about games.......Frosh/Soph not getting much time in 12 -16 games vs training with the varsity, the varsity coach and getting the actual speed of Varsity vs JV would be one point to keep him on V.....

That is why I like the JV/V Taxi squad that CCH just re-implemented. The players practice with V, play JV games and sit for the V games and can see some minutes.

I like this approach!!!