• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2010 Scott Alec Robbins 29 G and 15 A

2011 Ryle Sciarra 29 G and 9 A and Willoughby 19 G and 20 A

2012 Boone Ohara 24 G and 8 A

All made the final four.

Interesting (I guess) but hardly anything that proves you need one big time scorer to reach the final four. Much more important is who you play to get there:

Scott - Pendleton Co and Highlands

Ryle - Russell and Montgomery Co

Boone - Harrison Co and North Hardin

Not exactly Murderer's Row of soccer teams. If you get a good draw out of N. Ky. you can advance even with a team that has relatively little chance to win it all. I'd say that's much more important than having a top scorer.

Beat whoever you play. Winning the game is the bottom line. Groin pull always wants to tell us how Covcath dominates possession. But do they win? Same report as that recent year game against Ncc. Bottom line, Ncc won the game. Take your 15 shots on goal and no goals and enjoy it. Anderson will enjoy the W.

Beat whoever you play. Winning the game is the bottom line. Groin pull always wants to tell us how Covcath dominates possession. But do they win? Same report as that recent year game against Ncc. Bottom line, Ncc won the game. Take your 15 shots on goal and no goals and enjoy it. Anderson will enjoy the W.

Um. It was just a scrimmage after all. Sure Anderson should enjoy the win, but got to think after watching the game CCH has to feel a little better about the upcoming season. At this point of the season, it hasn't started, I would rather have controlled possession and generated some chances. Rather than having one gift of a goal.

I agree with you GP on the draw. When they redistricted the schools for soccer it got a lot harder for the 9th since I think they will always have to beat a Lexington team now to make to the finals. I still think you can posses all you want, you still have to be able to put the ball in the net. A good goalie can make a big difference also but we will all find out starting this week.

Hoggy I can see your point, but I also see groin pulls. When was the last time a "non possession" style team made it to the finals? Perhaps int he 80s when that style of play was rare.........

It's soccer. You can dominate and still lose. Good teams find ways to still get the W. I'm saying Covcath has a history of not getting the W.

It's soccer. You can dominate and still lose. Good teams find ways to still get the W. I'm saying Covcath has a history of not getting the W.

Says the person who admittedly knows nothing about boys soccer. Not sure what "history" you are dreaming up as I think they have the second most wins in the history of state high school soccer.

I know you are more used to watching recreational soccer but try watching some higher level games sometime and you'll see that possession of the ball is a tactic most good teams employ. In the end hopefully that leads to goals, which is the one element lacking for CCH in their two scrimmages so far. As Oldtime pointed out, I doubt there has been a team in 20+ years that has won or competed for a state championship playing the "just boot it up the field Billy!" style that you seem to think is effective. Seems you would have learned that by now watching NDA pummel your lady Bluebirds the last several years with their possession style game.

Edited by groinpull

I agree with you GP on the draw. When they redistricted the schools for soccer it got a lot harder for the 9th since I think they will always have to beat a Lexington team now to make to the finals. I still think you can posses all you want, you still have to be able to put the ball in the net. A good goalie can make a big difference also but we will all find out starting this week.

Agreed, you still have to score to win obviously. Can you win a game or two by employing the "kick it down the field to the fast kid" style of play? Yes, of course, but if your ultimate goal is to compete for and win a state title in soccer you have to have a complete team that can keep possession, defend and score as a unit. Could CCH have beaten Anderson by putting their three fastest kids forward and simply continuing to kick the ball over their head hoping for a breakaway? Yes, they could have but would that strategy beat Trinity or Dunbar? No.

The Colonels may take some lumps early but I believe their style of play is the only way to a state title. Kickball teams do not win state championships.

I'd go a step forward, even at younger classes, that style doesn't beat high level teams.

Exactly. While the Colonels will have some trouble scoring, if they can work that out they will play the style needed to compete w/ the perennial state contenders. A fast attacker up top may win you a scrimmage against Anderson, a girls rec game at Tower Park or even a ninth region title some years, but that road will end soon with the first skilled team with a defensive athlete (or athletes) to match your fast attacker.

Exactly. While the Colonels will have some trouble scoring, if they can work that out they will play the style needed to compete w/ the perennial state contenders. A fast attacker up top may win you a scrimmage against Anderson, a girls rec game at Tower Park or even a ninth region title some years, but that road will end soon with the first skilled team with a defensive athlete (or athletes) to match your fast attacker.

I must have missed it, did someone actually suggest they'd be more effective with a "chip it and chase it" philosophy?

I must have missed it, did someone actually suggest they'd be more effective with a "chip it and chase it" philosophy?

Not exactly, but I think some feel that the possession game is overrated and it's all about getting the "W" in a scrimmage game or having a single player who scores 25-30 goals. Winning a scrimmage game or even an early season game is pretty much inconsequential if it does not help you get better at the end of the year. My feeling is that CCH may lose some early season, low scoring games vs. a "chip and chase" team but in the end will be better prepared for a long run.

Playing against teams that can possess the ball is exhausting, physically and mentally. Now, do you need to be able to convert via serves into the box, set pieces, or created opportunities? Sure. But it really wears on an opponent far more than a team that just wants to clear it down the field and let the striker(s) go get it and try and make something happen on an odd-numbered rush or a secondary break. The grind of being out-possessed 70/30+ is really taxing.

I think a big issue for CCH this year will be getting on the board first. If they fall behind it will allow a team to hunker down and defend with 9 or 10 players. If they score first it will keep the game opened up, which I believe will benefit their style.