Offers

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, they have a list of positions and heavily recruit and award money to a set number at that position, then everyone else are "walk ons". For example, Coach Cronin gives scholarships to five Offensive Linemen per year, all others are walk ons. He gives a scholarship to one Quarterback per year, all others are walk ons. He knows exactly who he wants at each position.

Now, of course, there are academic awards made as well, when placed with the athletic award it can make a very good package.

I get that. Are those players getting full?

Even if he "wants" a few other players he is still getting a large number of players that are essentially there to be practice players and pay tuition to the school.

It's not a criticism of anyone especially those getting athletic money. It's just the reality of NAIA, D2, and D3 ball. They want bodies after they get the players they truly recruit.

It looks like NAIA can only give our 24 scholarships.

What is the average percentage of a scholarship that is awarded at Georgetown? 25%? 50%?

Can't speak to the average, I just don't know what every player gets. I can only speak to what one player is getting and I think disclosing that amount is just not the right thing to do, but I will say it's substantial.

Can't speak to the average, I just don't know what every player gets. I can only speak to what one player is getting and I think disclosing that amount is just not the right thing to do, but I will say it's substantial.

Figured as much. That means even more of the 110 players are playing without getting any money.

I get that. Are those players getting full?

Even if he "wants" a few other players he is still getting a large number of players that are essentially there to be practice players and pay tuition to the school.

It's not a criticism of anyone especially those getting athletic money. It's just the reality of NAIA, D2, and D3 ball. They want bodies after they get the players they truly recruit.

No college has a roster of all full scholarships and as you know minus FBS, no school gives full athletic scholarships, but they offer knowing that most will also be getting academic money to augment the athletic money. A coach can offer a 50% athletic scholarship knowing the player is going to be going to that college for free with a half academic scholarship. You can play NAIA or D2 for free (or near free) with good grades and good test scores.

If you go to other teams web sites you will see many teams have 140 + players on their rosters. 110 isn't that many when you compare numbers to other teams. It's actually close to the avg and well below when looking at other schools. Just look at schools in this area alone. Look at Mt St Joes roster numbers etc. last year they had 113.

Why would d-3 teams carry 110-140?

The turnover at most of the DIII schools is very high. I am familar with Thomas More and they will bring in 50 or so freshman every year. I would say about half can play at the college level, and the other half they are taking a flyer on to see how they work out. Many quit playing after their freshman year due to they don't have the talent to play at the college level, or don't enjoy playing the game anymore do to the large time committment. Some just don't have the finances to continue and must get a job to help pay for college. However, they don't just open the doors to anyone that wants to come out and play football They are selective, as are most colleges about who they invite to be on their team.

The revenue from student tuition funds football at the d3 level. It is the ultimate "pay to play" scenario. Colleges show you this big inflated price then offer you "scholarships" to play football. The reality is that you are getting a 20% discount on a 300% mark up. It is student participation that drives $ in d3. The more the merrier!

Play football, leave school with 5 or even 6 figure debt. Not here!

The turnover at most of the DIII schools is very high. I am familar with Thomas More and they will bring in 50 or so freshman every year. I would say about half can play at the college level, and the other half they are taking a flyer on to see how they work out. Many quit playing after their freshman year due to they don't have the talent to play at the college level, or don't enjoy playing the game anymore do to the large time committment. Some just don't have the finances to continue and must get a job to help pay for college. However, they don't just open the doors to anyone that wants to come out and play football They are selective, as are most colleges about who they invite to be on their team.

So they are selective in the 50 they bring in. Got it. :)

Again, Oberlin's roster is 56 players.

As far as other schools, well the same could be asked about DI and DII and NAIA They also have 100+ players in many rosters.

As I said earlier, some schools simy want students for the tuition etc. Doesn't matter what division. Again, many DI schools don't offer football scholarships yet have many players on their rosters... Why?