ESPN: Wade, Bosh, Haslem Opt Out

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can the Heat do that financially? Would Melo and LeBron give up enough cash?

Melo won't be able to get a max deal from Chicago or Houston or Dallas, though he would get close. He would have to go below even those levels to sign in Miami. Plus, I think they would have to pay Melo more than LeBron in Miami. I don't think Miami is realistic for Melo.

Can the Heat do that financially? Would Melo and LeBron give up enough cash?

LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh discuss potential contract terms - ESPN

Article above seems to indicate that it's not being seriously discussed. It says that Haslem has already opted out to add more financial flexibility, and that the most likely option is LeBron, Wade, and Bosh each taking a little less and balancing the terms of their contracts in a way such that the Heat will stay under the luxury tax.

Being under the luxury tax means they can use the full $5.3 mid-level exception (possibly getting a guy like Kyle Lowery) and then maybe some other role players (think a Birdman, Haslem, etc.) on a biannual exception that would give them around $2 million more.

Just like the last time around, I think that all 3 are already working together and already have an idea of who they want. I'll be interested in seeing what they do in terms of getting a big/rim protector.

If I'm the Heat, I say bye to Wade and try to bring Melo in for a new Big 3. Wade is breaking down more season by season and isn't a max player anymore.

If Wade is not back it is because he, himself is going elsewhere. LeBron is the best player, obviously, but Wade is the reason LeBron and company are in Miami. I am not a fan of paying a player for what they've done as opposed to their future potential, but I believe Wade - as much as dislike him - does not deserve the kicking to the curb treatment in this one. If any of the "Big 3" is at risk of being waved goodbye, it is Chris Bosh.

If Wade is not back it is because he, himself is going elsewhere. LeBron is the best player, obviously, but Wade is the reason LeBron and company are in Miami. I am not a fan of paying a player for what they've done as opposed to their future potential, but I believe Wade - as much as dislike him - does not deserve the kicking to the curb treatment in this one. If any of the "Big 3" is at risk of being waved goodbye, it is Chris Bosh.

Completely agree. Wade has sacrificed more than anyone else in the whole thing. He was older and didn't have any other big paydays coming his way, gave up control of the franchise that he was the face of, and has actually did an admirable job of building what they've had when no one would have blamed him if he didn't make some of the choices he made.

I'm not a big Wade fan (well, not a big Wade fan at all), but I think that he might be the one who actually deserves the "most" on the next deal (LeBron will make his on endorsements anyway and Bosh can get paid elsewhere or stay and win), but he's also probably the least likely to get it.

Not really a good answer/solution to the Wade problem. He's not going to be productive enough to get the kind of money that will compensate him for all he's done through the years and the Heat would be cold do so, but still get exponentially better if they just let him walk and replaced his salary hit with a few different bodies like Kyle Lowery, Spencer Hawes or Channing Frye, and the leftovers, if any, as sweetener on a deal for a guy like Birdman, Battier, or Allen that gives a guy whose been on perpetually bad teams for most of his career the chance to come and chase a ring even though he's past his prime.

Which lineup looks better:

PG - Lowery/Cole/Napier

SG - Lowery/Allen

SF - James

PF - Bosh/Haslem

C - Hawes or Frye/Birdman

PG - Cole/Napier

SG - Wade

SF - James

PF - Bosh/Haslem

Completely agree. Wade has sacrificed more than anyone else in the whole thing. He was older and didn't have any other big paydays coming his way, gave up control of the franchise that he was the face of, and has actually did an admirable job of building what they've had when no one would have blamed him if he didn't make some of the choices he made.

I'm not a big Wade fan (well, not a big Wade fan at all), but I think that he might be the one who actually deserves the "most" on the next deal (LeBron will make his on endorsements anyway and Bosh can get paid elsewhere or stay and win), but he's also probably the least likely to get it.

Not really a good answer/solution to the Wade problem. He's not going to be productive enough to get the kind of money that will compensate him for all he's done through the years and the Heat would be cold do so, but still get exponentially better if they just let him walk and replaced his salary hit with a few different bodies like Kyle Lowery, Spencer Hawes or Channing Frye, and the leftovers, if any, as sweetener on a deal for a guy like Birdman, Battier, or Allen that gives a guy whose been on perpetually bad teams for most of his career the chance to come and chase a ring even though he's past his prime.

Which lineup looks better:

PG - Lowery/Cole/Napier

SG - Lowery/Allen

SF - James

PF - Bosh/Haslem

PG - Cole/Napier

SG - Wade

SF - James

PF - Bosh/Haslem

Lowery is said to be a lock to go back to Toronto.

Lowery is said to be a lock to go back to Toronto.

If I'm Miami, my next call is to Pau Gasol.

If I can't get Gasol, I try for Jordan Hill, Kirk Hinrich, and whoever I can get from Hawes, Frye, Meeks or possibly even Vince Carter or Steve Blake.

If I'm Miami, my next call is to Pau Gasol.

If I can't get Gasol, I try for Jordan Hill, Kirk Hinrich, and whoever I can get from Hawes, Frye, Meeks or possibly even Vince Carter or Steve Blake.

Hinrich don't play for the Hawks if that's what your meaning. I like Kirk but I believe it's time for the Bulls to let him go for good.

Hinrich don't play for the Hawks if that's what your meaning. I like Kirk but I believe it's time for the Bulls to let him go for good.

Sorry, was meaning I'd take whoever I could get from the combination of Spencer Hawes, Channing Frye, Jodie Meeks, Vince Carter, or Steve Blake with whatever money was left over.

I know people keep pointing to PG and Center help for the Heat, but LeBron desperately wants someone that can give him a break on the court. He has let it be known he has no interest in averaging 38-40 minutes a night in order to carry the load. It is a wear on his body and he is envious of what the Spurs have where no player averages 30 minutes a game.

And let's not forget the Heat have still gone to four straight NBA Finals. People keep acting like they need to blow up the entire operation. A couple of roster and philosophical tweaks is all they will do.