Spurs' Offseason

Ginobili has announced he will play for his home country, Argentina, in the FIBA World Cup over the summer.

Duncan has until Tuesday to decide whether he will opt out of his current contract, which should shed some light on whether he plans to retire and how much longer he is planning on playing.

Kawhi's contract status is still up in the air in terms of the future, but I'd expect him to receive a max deal no later than 2015. Anything less means he's taking a cut to stay in San Antonio, but how much of a cut would he be willing to take with no guarantee that Popovich stays?

Spurs fans can't be too excited about Manu suiting up for international play. It didn't work out well for him last season.
It is his right but I concur. The Spurs are the only team where not one player averages at least 30 minutes but the extra wear and tear on the body seems to have a detrimental effect.

Tim Duncan exercised his 10.3 million dollar player option and will return for his 18th season.

I think most expected that. Only thing I thought he might do is take a pay cut to give the spurs more room. Glad he's going to give it another go...

I think most expected that. Only thing I thought he might do is take a pay cut to give the spurs more room. Glad he's going to give it another go...

This Kobe fan is impressed with Tim taking 10.3 for the year. I'm not mad at Kobe for taking the 24 million he'll make because Kobe jumped at the Lakers first offer as anyone should do in that situation. However, I wouldn't be opposed to Kobe taking 10.3 to give the Lakers more room.

This Kobe fan is impressed with Tim taking 10.3 for the year. I'm not mad at Kobe for taking the 24 million he'll make because Kobe jumped at the Lakers first offer as anyone should do in that situation. However, I wouldn't be opposed to Kobe taking 10.3 to give the Lakers more room.

Timmy has always been a team player

It's my understanding that he's making pretty close to the minimum of what they'd have been able to pay him. There are caps on option years based on what you made the year before, and you can't make less. How much he made wasn't really his choice here (unless he wanted to command more), it was basically whether he played or not.

It's my understanding that he's making pretty close to the minimum of what they'd have been able to pay him. There are caps on option years based on what you made the year before, and you can't make less. How much he made wasn't really his choice here (unless he wanted to command more), it was basically whether he played or not.

There were rumors he'd decline the option and sign a two year deal for less money.

• 2 weeks later...

Mills is resigned, but will be out until January. Ginobili is setting out of the World games as well with a stress fracture in his foot.

With rumors of Gasol being in Oklahoma City yesterday, there's also more good news for the champs, as it's being said that they may also be a player for his services. I think the most likely destination for Gasol is New York and a reunion with Phil Jackson, but I can see why he'd want to join either the Spurs or Thunder and have a faster track to a ring as well. San Antonio is probably only going to be able to offer the midlevel exception for him given the way things are shaking out as of now, but maybe they are able to throw more at him if they lose Diaw and cut loose some guys like Bonner.

Speaking of Boris Diaw, Portland is said to be making a serious push at luring him to the Rose City. Don't be surprised if Diaw goes there. He has a history of coming off of a good season in a contract year and then chasing the money, but can you really blame him that much? After his last stint with Phoenix, he promptly re-upped with Charlotee and landed there with a thud before the Spurs made him a reclamation project. San Antonio may get a hometown discount, but if push comes to shove, I think Portland ends up making him an offer that the Spurs either won't be able to or just won't make. If he stays in San Antonio, he stays with fellow Frenchman Tony Parker. If he joins Portland, he pairs up with fellow Frenchman Nicholas Batum.

I spoke with a friend of mine this morning who is a huge Spurs fan that told me that it might be wise to expect a roster move of some sort, maybe one made in anticipation of someone either leaving or being cut, as they still have to make room for first round draft pick Kyle Anderson. What's more interesting is that a player they've drafted and stashed overseas for a few years, namely Davis Bertans, a 6'10 Lithuanian combo forward who was drafted by the Pacers with the #42 pick in the 2011 draft, has just had his contract with his team overseas bought out and could be heading stateside soon.