Dylan Fosnacht throws 194 pitches

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that maybe it is time for Coach Maloney to retire. Wasn't Maloney's own career shortened by injuries?

Show me the data that shows that throwing a high amount of pitches leads to arm injuries. Do we see more arm and elbow injuries today with pitchers that are babied, or more injuries from back in the 70's when there was no such thing as a pitch count?

Show me the data that shows that throwing a high amount of pitches leads to arm injuries. Do we see more arm and elbow injuries today with pitchers that are babied, or more injuries from back in the 70's when there was no such thing as a pitch count?
There may not have been a pitch count back in the 70s, but most coaches exercised some common sense. BTW, the article does not identify Maloney as this kid's coach. Where did you get your information?

Personally, I love it. Pitch counts late in the season are overrated.

I have to say this post and those who like it cause me to question their judgment in future posts on baseball. I know everyone is entitled to an opinion but how can anyone think this is ok?

There may not have been a pitch count back in the 70s, but most coaches exercised some common sense. BTW, the article does not identify Maloney as this kid's coach. Where did you get your information?

Coaches exercised common sense back in the 70's? We must have been watching different games. I didn't say Maloney was the coach, I simply asked you what you would say if I said he was the coach.

Coaches exercised common sense back in the 70's? We must have been watching different games. I didn't say Maloney was the coach, I simply asked you what you would say if I said he was the coach.
Well, Maloney is not the coach but I guess you knew that already. I said most coaches exercised some common sense. If you are going to paraphrase my words, please try to be accurate.

My coaches would never have left me in for 14 innings. I saw a few coaches who had kids pitching way too many innings too. I am sure that they knew better, they just wanted to win. A good coach would not allow a kid to throw 194 pitches before yanking him from the game, whether the pitcher agreed or not.

Well, Maloney is not the coach but I guess you knew that already. I said most coaches exercised some common sense. If you are going to paraphrase my words, please try to be accurate.

My coaches would never have left me in for 14 innings. I saw a few coaches who had kids pitching way too many innings too. I am sure that they knew better, they just wanted to win. A good coach would not allow a kid to throw 194 pitches before yanking him from the game, whether the pitcher agreed or not.

I'm not paraphrasing anything. I'm talking about ML managers and pitching coaches in the 70's. Nobody cared about pitch counts, and you certainly didn't see the arm injuries you see today.

I'm not paraphrasing anything. I'm talking about ML managers and pitching coaches in the 70's. Nobody cared about pitch counts, and you certainly didn't see the arm injuries you see today.
First you implied that Jim Maloney was this kid's coach, and yes, you did paraphrase what I said about most coaches using common sense in a way that changed its meaning.

Coaches did not count pitches when I played but most of them knew enough not to do what this kid's coach did. Pitch count limits were adopted to address the idiots who don't know better.

Today in History...May 15, 1918

In a game that takes only 2 hours and 47 minutes to play, Senators' legend Walter Johnson goes the the distance in an 18-inning contest, defeating Larry Williams, who also tosses a complete game, and the White Sox at Comiskey Park, 1-0. Eddie Ainsworth, who advances to third base on the 'Big Train's' single, scores the winning run on a wild pitch.

Seems like Walter had a pretty good career...averaged 340 innings per year during a ten year stretch from the time he was 21 to 30 years old. Last year only 6 pitchers pitched as many as 220 innings and none pitched more than 242 innings.

Today in History...May 15, 1918

Seems like Walter had a pretty good career...averaged 340 innings per year during a ten year stretch from the time he was 21 to 30 years old. Last year only 6 pitchers pitched as many as 220 innings and none pitched more than 242 innings.

Major league teams invest a lot of money in starting pitchers and the trend has been to allow them to pitch fewer innings since I started following MLB in the late 60s. Part of the reason has been the increasing role of relief pitchers but I am sure that maximizing the investment in pitchers has played a role as well.

First you implied that Jim Maloney was this kid's coach, and yes, you did paraphrase what I said about most coaches using common sense in a way that changed its meaning.

Coaches did not count pitches when I played but most of them knew enough not to do what this kid's coach did. Pitch count limits were adopted to address the idiots who don't know better.

No, and I'll say no again, I did not paraphrase most coaches using common sense. I'll repeat it, I was talking about MLB managers and pitching coaches. None of them, not some, gave a hoot about pitch counts in the 70's. I'll ask you again. Did we see more arm injuries in the 70's, or do we see more arm injuries now?

MLB Innings Pitched Leaders

1910 Walter Johnson 370

1920 Grover Cleveland Alexander 363

1930 Ted Lyons 297

1940 Bob Feller 320

1950 Vern Bickford 311

1960 Larry Jackson 282

1970 Gaylord Perry 328

1980 Steve Carlton 304

1990 Dave Stewart 267

2000 Jon Lieber 251

2010 Roy Halladay 250