Highlands 71 Bellevue 52

Birds played hard tonight. Double digits for Vories, Guidugli, and Johnson, and 8 points for Smith, 6 for Simpson. It is going to take team scoring like this to get past NCC on Friday. Good first night of districts.

Birds played hard tonight. Double digits for Vories, Guidugli, and Johnson, and 8 points for Smith, 6 for Simpson. It is going to take team scoring like this to get past NCC on Friday. Good first night of districts.

That is if NCC beats Dayton. You never know

That is if NCC beats Dayton. You never know
Dayton seems to be in termoil.

After their near-miss escape of Bellevue in the "A" Regionals I think NCC will send Dayton quietly into the baseball season. Save your five bucks for the finals.

It will be NCC and Highlands. Highlands got them last year and I look for Highlands to get them again this year.

It was a good win to get the monkey off their back. Just some of my own personal analysis from the game.

Birds were a little stunned in the 1st period as Jeremy Wight took it upon himself to keep Bellevue in the game scoring their first 10pts, 3 coming on a 30ft jumper that got nothing but net. After they Birds figured out they needed to turn up the pressure it was pretty evident they would control the game.

They executed a full court man-man press that really took Bellevue out of their game. It looked to me like Bellevue pretty much relies on Wight/Kilgore to do everything. Unfortunately Kilgore looked like a deer in headlights most of the night and couldnt get any shots to fall. Scottie Haynes came off the bench and IMO played extremely well considering he is frail compared to the meaty HHS bunch. He caught some nice passes from Wight and scored and got hammered by Guidugli in the 4th period which left most of us wondering if they were going to have to scrape him off the floor.

Back to the Birds... Vories played well getting some nice dribble penetration against the Tiger Zone, went to the line a bunch of times and got his points. I thought there were plenty of openings in the zone that were missed at times but for the most part the Birds played team ball. A few times some guys didnt get back on Defense and they found themselves sitting next to Willie. Simpson is so athletic, made some nice stick backs on misses, Tanner played well distributing the ball and making some decent buckets. Gudugli hit some big shots and made the majority of his free throws.

The Birds will have to turn up their transition Defense if they want to win the District Championship. Bellevue did a nice job of pushing the ball and Wight made some excellent no-look passes from halfcourt to Haynes under the basket for easy layups.

Good luck Birds on your way to the REgionals.

Haynes made the comment that there was just no moving that kid. He said he is rock solid. It was not the best game for Chris Kilgore. He rarely has this kind of game. Unfortunately, it came during districts and his last game at home being he is a senior. Still in all the Bellevue Tigers played tough. Good job by Highlands! My hats off to the coaches and players. Good luck against NCC!

It's good to see the Bird's are back with a strong victory. This may not be the right place to talk about this but I have too. Did anyone else see the shot to the head that Tanner Johnson took last night? With 3 referee's on the floor, how could they have missed that cheap shot right in the middle of the court with nobody around them. With 3 referee's you wouldn't think that something like that would happen without a foul called. I believe the boy from Bellevue told Tanner that he was sorry. Kind of heat of the moment reaction, Tanner had just blocked his shot down on that end of the floor.

It's good to see the Bird's are back with a strong victory. This may not be the right place to talk about this but I have too. Did anyone else see the shot to the head that Tanner Johnson took last night? With 3 referee's on the floor, how could they have missed that cheap shot right in the middle of the court with nobody around them. With 3 referee's you wouldn't think that something like that would happen without a foul called. I believe the boy from Bellevue told Tanner that he was sorry. Kind of heat of the moment reaction, Tanner had just blocked his shot down on that end of the floor.

I did not actually see it but I did see the boy from Highlands laying on the floor. I did see Wight go over and apologize. What exactly did happen? If you would prefer you can send me a private message.

I did not actually see it but I did see the boy from Highlands laying on the floor. I did see Wight go over and apologize. What exactly did happen? If you would prefer you can send me a private message.

The problem in that situation was just like you and me we all were watching the ball be dribbled down the floor and so were the referees. Nobody saw Wight elbow Tanner so it was a no call.

I truly think it was not a vicious thing as Jeremy went over to apologize and I beleive those two actually played AAU together a couple of years back so it was an isolated incident that was missed by many. My friend sitting next to me said he saw it but I was watching the ball.

It was a good win to get the monkey off their back. Just some of my own personal analysis from the game.

Birds were a little stunned in the 1st period as Jeremy Wight took it upon himself to keep Bellevue in the game scoring their first 10pts, 3 coming on a 30ft jumper that got nothing but net. After they Birds figured out they needed to turn up the pressure it was pretty evident they would control the game.

They executed a full court man-man press that really took Bellevue out of their game. It looked to me like Bellevue pretty much relies on Wight/Kilgore to do everything. Unfortunately Kilgore looked like a deer in headlights most of the night and couldnt get any shots to fall. Scottie Haynes came off the bench and IMO played extremely well considering he is frail compared to the meaty HHS bunch. He caught some nice passes from Wight and scored and got hammered by Guidugli in the 4th period which left most of us wondering if they were going to have to scrape him off the floor.

Back to the Birds... Vories played well getting some nice dribble penetration against the Tiger Zone, went to the line a bunch of times and got his points. I thought there were plenty of openings in the zone that were missed at times but for the most part the Birds played team ball. A few times some guys didnt get back on Defense and they found themselves sitting next to Willie. Simpson is so athletic, made some nice stick backs on misses, Tanner played well distributing the ball and making some decent buckets. Gudugli hit some big shots and made the majority of his free throws.

The Birds will have to turn up their transition Defense if they want to win the District Championship. Bellevue did a nice job of pushing the ball and Wight made some excellent no-look passes from halfcourt to Haynes under the basket for easy layups.

Good luck Birds on your way to the REgionals.

Wight would average a double-double on a top 5 team in the region, he is a great point guard with unbelieveable range. Kilgore must have been off because he can flat out shoot the ball.

Vories is a heck of a player and he is surrounded by a group of athletes that can score, rebound, and defend. Very few weaknesses on that team.

Good to see Bellevue hung in there with the big boys and were competitive.

Wight would average a double-double on a top 5 team in the region, he is a great point guard with unbelieveable range. Kilgore must have been off because he can flat out shoot the ball.

Vories is a heck of a player and he is surrounded by a group of athletes that can score, rebound, and defend. Very few weaknesses on that team.

Good to see Bellevue hung in there with the big boys and were competitive.

Wight's no look passes fooled the Birds D on many occassions. You're right about his range, he made one from the volleyball line that is a few feet from half court. His shot is a little unorthodox though, some shots had sidespin on them. But as most scorers will say " its not how, but how many" :banana:

Wight's no look passes fooled the Birds D on many occassions. You're right about his range, he made one from the volleyball line that is a few feet from half court. His shot is a little unorthodox though, some shots had sidespin on them. But as most scorers will say " its not how, but how many" :banana:

I agree... it wasnt a textbook looking shot, in fact it is extremely unorthodox but they found the bottom of the net. He got a little frustrated and forced some things in the 2nd half but it happens. The Birds D could benefit from some hustle back on D. How bout those Refs? 3 of them and it was a Highlands game.... can you believe it? I thought overall they did a good job.... Wight did a great job of getting his say in on a couple of them without disrespecting them. I like to see that in a player, Tanner should take notes from that, he may not get pigeonholed like I think he does sometimes.

I think it is funny that Wight talked to the ref all night after every call and non-call. This same ref T'd up Eaton at Boone County after he called him for a foul. And for once Eaton didn't even say anything to the ref. He went to Hudy and told him they had to step up the defense and the ref thought he was talking to him and gave him a T. Now Wight questioned almost every call and never even got a warning.