Can A Pitcher Record A Save....

Clyde

Two outs, runner on base. Pitcher takes his stretch...runner leaves early...pitcher steps off, but instead of throwing ball, runs at the base runner and eventually tags him out to end the game?

I hadn't thought of the "run and tag the runner" but that's one.

Others?

Is it an automatic out if the team bats out of order?

Closing pitcher comes in. Wrong batter comes to the plate my mistake. Pitching team realizes it and lets the umpire know. Automatic out before he throws a pitch? Or does he have to throw the pitch for it to technically be out of order?

Just trying to think of a random thing that could occur.

Edited by MJAlltheWay24

Is it an automatic out if the team bats out of order?

Closing pitcher comes it. Wrong batter comes to the plate my mistake. Pitching team realizes it and lets the umpire know. Automatic out before he throws a pitch? Or does he have to throw the pitch for it to technically be out of order?

Just trying to think of a random thing that could occur.

In your play you would simply replace the wrong batter with the right batter.

But you're REALLY close to an example.

Not sure about this one, but I'll toss it out there. Pitcher comes into the game, warms up, but before he throws his first pitch, rain starts and game is eventually called?

IF the umpire never gave the "play ball" signal then no.

However, if for some reason he did say "play" and then a torrential rain hit before he threw the ball then yes.

Obscure but....legit.

What if it's discovered, after the pitching change, that the previous batter batted out of order?

Now we're talking. 2 outs. 9th inning. Batter gets on. Reliever comes in and takes his warmup pitches. "Play ball". Defense calls time and says "batting out of order occurred." 3rd out. Ball game. Save.

Key is WHEN you bring up the B.O.O. Too early or too late would not end the game.

Interesting. So, do the same rules apply for getting a "W"? Say it's the home team's pitcher...and one of the two above scenarios happens (not the rain one)...and they happen to be tied or trailing at the end of the half-inning, but score to win the game in the bottom half. Pitcher gets a win, without ball leaving his hand?

Along the same lines, would it work if a runner tags up and scores. New pitcher comes in to face the next batter. Team realizes that maybe the player left early. Walks the ball over to third (instead of throwing it). Steps on third base for the third out?

I like it, but will leave it up to Clyde to verify. My question would be, why would they change pitchers, just to make the appeal? :lol2: