Can A Pitcher Record A Save....

Clyde

I like it, but will leave it up to Clyde to verify. My question would be, why would they change pitchers, just to make the appeal? :lol2:

I was thinking maybe someone saw a replay or they got a call down from someone in the organization to tell them the player left early, after the pitching change. I think you can do that up until the next play, so I think it would count as an answer for Clyde, but I have no idea.

Can you appeal a runner having left early after a pitching change but before a pitch to the next batter? I can't imagine a scenario where you'd wait until after the change, but by the letter of the law, would that suffice? Of course, he'd have to toss the ball to the SS (as an example).

Sorry MJ, just realized you had the exact same thought in post #13. My bad! I should have read all the way down.

Sorry MJ, just realized you had the exact same thought in post #13. My bad! I should have read all the way down.

No worries. I really liked the question, had to think quite a bit to try and figure something out. I'm sure there's another case or two but I really can't think of anything else.

Batter comes to bat and gets in the box and ump calls play ball, manager of the other team yells out about an illegal bat. Ump checks bat and finds it to be corked or some other illegal issue...would the batter be called out? Thus ending the game and giving the reliever the save.

Batter comes to bat and gets in the box and ump calls play ball, manager of the other team yells out about an illegal bat. Ump checks bat and finds it to be corked or some other illegal issue...would the batter be called out? Thus ending the game and giving the reliever the save.

Correct.