Cordia 66 Letcher Co. Central 60

I don't know if I agree with everything you have posted, but I will say that you can't blame the coaching staff at Letcher Central for this loss. One of hardest jobs for a coach is to deal with consolidation, meshing three schools together and trying to keep everyone happy. Usually, consolidated schools take a few years build a program and weed out prior factors from the other schools. The only exception to this rule in recent memory has been East Ridge, who made the regional in their second season of existence. Be patient Letcher Central fans.

As for Cordia, biggest win for them in recent memory. Congrats to the Lions! :eek:

I know of another exception, but it hasn't been recently. When Knott County High, Hindman High, and Carr Creek High, consolidated in 1975 (I think that was the year), they proceeded to win about 4 straight regional titles. Of course having Herbie Stamper, who went on to star at Morehead State, didn't hurt.

Great win Cordia and I believe LCC has been overrated all year. They are a good group but just couldn't seem to click together. I'll be anxious to see how this effects the program and it's coaches because I know it was a highly sought after job.

Great Win by Cordia and Coach Honeycut, he has proven he can win during tourney time.

The story of Honeycut has had some strange twist. He was removed from coaching at Knott Central, and Feltner was brought over from Cordia to take over the Patroit program, while Honeycut was transfered to Cordia (where he coached earlier in his career) to run their program. Honeycut then defeated KCC last year to knock them out of a regional trip. Now he has Cordia back in the regional tournament once again, while Knott's season has ended early once more. Honeycut deserves his rewards. He is a good coach and a fine individual.

I know of another exception, but it hasn't been recently. When Knott County High, Hindman High, and Carr Creek High, consolidated in 1975 (I think that was the year), they proceeded to win about 4 straight regional titles. Of course having Herbie Stamper, who went on to star at Morehead State, didn't hurt.

Oh yeah...Good point. :thumb:

Carr Creek, Hindman, and Knott County were rich in basketball tradition. That was the reason for their success.

I think Stamper had more to do with their success after consolidation more than tradition.

Many smaller schools with "tradition" have struggled to come together for that to be a positive factor. In any case, I think it would have a negative effect on the new school - hanging on to the past.

I don't think you can blame the coaches yet. Even though they did have numbers, they have not have time to develop their feeder systems and in the case of basketball, they did not even get to play in their own gym. I think that next season, or even the year after are the years to hold the coaches accountable.