Smoking pot in elementry school bathroom

5 STAR

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a long drawn out thread on legalization a while back and most seemed think there was little if any negative side effects to marijuana use and no reason for it to be illegal.

I thought that had to do with adults. Not children.

C'mon, Jumper Dad. I've only been on BGP for 12 years, but I've never read anyone supporting a 3rd graders' right to smoke.

Even those that support the legalization/decriminalization of marijuana (such as myself) recognize the problems associated with a young child smoking at such an early age. That's not the issue up for debate, and implying that those who support the legalization of marijuana would support a young child smoking it is entirely unfair, in my opinion.

:thumb:

No different than a young child with alcohol.

Your right, they have said it is safe for everyone. What harm is there for children that's not there for adults?

Same threats that are there for young children drinking alcohol underage as opposed to those who are 21+. Kids should be developed enough to know what they're doing and know the facts/myths. It's not right for young kids to experiment with pot the same way it's not right for an 8 year old to drink beer.

Sorry but 4th graders are learning this, so I can assume some 3rd graders do as well.

It also talks about how he tried drugs.

IL 4th grade book says white voters rejected Obama because of race - EAGnews.org powered by Education Action Group Foundation, Inc.

So because ONE fourth grade teacher had their kids read a biography of Obama, that means all 4th graders are? No, sorry....

I've never seen anyone on BGP that is pro-pot say that it's ok for kids to use it just like I've never seen anyone on here say that alcohol is ok for kids to drink. Did we run out of common sense here?

Sounds like it.....

I agree my statements were absurd, I was trying to get one of the Pro-Potters to remind us how healthy and safe Pot was. My point is that if Pot is bad for kids it would stand to reason that it is also bad for adults...I mean killing brain cells is killing brain cells regardless of age.

I agree my statements were absurd, I was trying to get one of the Pro-Potters to remind us how healthy and safe Pot was. My point is that if Pot is bad for kids it would stand to reason that it is also bad for adults...I mean killing brain cells is killing brain cells regardless of age.

I have never once stated that smoking pot is healthy. Again, I don't recall anyone alleging that pot is healthy in my 12+ years on BGP, but I could be mistaken.

Even the most fervent legalization supporters would agree that marijuana has some health risks associated with it. After all, you're inhaling smoke. Now, you'll hear people claim that it's not as dangerous as cigarettes, nor as addicting as other drugs, but I don't think anyone is naive enough to believe that there is no health risk associated with it.

What about beer? You think a beer or two would have the same effects on a 8 year old and a 28 year old? That's the argument you are trying to make.

I have never once stated that smoking pot is healthy. Again, I don't recall anyone alleging that pot is healthy in my 12+ years on BGP, but I could be mistaken.

Even the most fervent legalization supporters would agree that marijuana has some health risks associated with it. After all, you're inhaling smoke. Now, you'll hear people claim that it's not as dangerous as cigarettes, nor as addicting as other drugs, but I don't think anyone is naive enough to believe that there is no health risk associated with it.

Correct. Marijuana does have risks associated with it, but compared to tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, and even fast food scientifically it doesn't seem as "harmful" as things most people consume on a daily basis. Furthermore the main risks come from inhaling the plant matter (smoking), however things such as vaporizing and edible marijuana do a good job of minimizing even those risks.

I've said it before and I will say it plenty times in the future. The medicinal benefits of marijuana far outweigh the negative health risks. Name me another plant or pharmaceutical drug for that matter that has as many medical uses as marijuana. It would take dozens of different pills to equal the health benefits associated with one plant.

Taking that one step further the hemp plant is not even psychoactive (doesn't get you "high") and it is also outlawed and stigmitized. However, it too has almost a hundred different uses many of which far superior to products in use today. Again name one plant that has as many benefits as this one?

What about beer? You think a beer or two would have the same effects on a 8 year old and a 28 year old? That's the argument you are trying to make.

Why would it no have the same effect...don't confuse age for size...one can of beer for a child of that age (60lbs) would be like a adult (of 260lbs) drinking close to a 6 pack...I'd say similar physical reaction for both. Even though I'd never condone use by a child in any way, I don't think it is magically any less harmful for someone just because they passed a certain birthday.

I'm making no argument for it at all, I just think that the effects are based on physiology not age.

Bigger Question is one I brought up post #10 that everyone has ignored or looked over...is anyone being arrested for this? I'm pretty sure 8 year old's aren't growing it at home on their own.

I don't think it's being ignored; no one knows that answer to that question based on the article alone.

Why would it no have the same effect...don't confuse age for size...one can of beer for a child of that age (60lbs) would be like a adult (of 260lbs) drinking close to a 6 pack...I'd say similar physical reaction for both. Even though I'd never condone use by a child in any way, I don't think it is magically any less harmful for someone just because they passed a certain birthday.

I'm making no argument for it at all, I just think that the effects are based on physiology not age.

What you don't realize is physiology has a lot to do with age. An adolescent child is not fully developed. In fact you are not fully developed until your mid to late 20's. Thus anything you do in early age (before fully developed) whether it be alcohol, marijuana, tobacco, etc. can have a significant effect on your development. In otherwords some of these things may be better for your health once you have fully developed, but can have some adverse health effects if you consume them before you are fully developed. Ultimately meaning it may end up being relatively safe for a 20 something to blaze a joint but a child could stunt their growth or effect their development by consuming too early.