March 11, 201412 yr All I'm saying is that it is disingenuous to think that it isn't more harmful than good for those using it at any age. It's a fair assumption to feel that way and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, my belief is that people do things on a daily basis that are more harmful than consuming marijuana. Eating McDonalds every day would be more dangerous for instance, or consuming 8-10 cups of coffee a day would be more harmful. Are you going to be as active fighting those things as well? In your argument since pot is so harmful and detrimental. Are you going to spend as much energy arguing the woes of those products as well? Of course not! Because pot has the stigma associated with it. All I'm trying to say is yes marijuana may be harmful, but it's not even as harmful as things that are funded and advertised by billion dollar corporations daily. Things that for the most part that are generally accepted, so why should we only view marijuana in such a negative light and ignore the things of similar health risk and just say ah well these are okay I guess. Yes pot could have some negative health benefits, but so could eating a Big Mac.
March 11, 201412 yr Author Just heard that 15 Colorado school children are facing expulsion for eating marijuana laced candy. The teachers noticed abnormal behavior before identifying the cause. Some of the students claim that they were not aware of the candy being laced.
March 11, 201412 yr Just heard that 15 Colorado school children are facing expulsion for eating marijuana laced candy. The teachers noticed abnormal behavior before identifying the cause. Some of the students claim that they were not aware of the candy being laced. Abnormal behavior like a constant barrage of laughter or did they try to eat all the pudding in the cafeteria?
March 11, 201412 yr I think you're way off base. I smoked marijuana occasionally in college, but no longer indulge...although I feel like I should since I get stuck defending its legalization on BGP on a weekly basis. :lol: The bottom line is that I feel marijuana has legitimate medicinal uses and benefits, especially to those who are sick and/or suffering. I also support an individual's decision to smoke recreational marijuana, if he chooses to do so. Of course, that comes with some restrictions (which are very similar to alcohol): he must be an adult (either 18 or 21), he must not do so while operating a vehicle, he must not do so in a public place, etc. I also support the legalization of marijuana due to the increased tax revenue that it would create. In January alone, Colorado sold approximately $14 MILLION worth of marijuana. From that $14,000,000, the state collected taxes totaling over $2 Million from recreational marijuana and over $1.5 million in medicinal marijuana. That's $3.5 MILLION in added tax revenue...in one month alone. If your position is that marijuana should be illegal because it has negative health effects, then there's a long laundry list of items that should be outlawed. Quite frankly, I think a lot of anti-legalization folks get caught up in the "stigma" of pot and cannot get past what they foresee as the problems, rather than objectively looking at the facts. :thumb: Well said....
March 11, 201412 yr I think you're way off base. I smoked marijuana occasionally in college, but no longer indulge...although I feel like I should since I get stuck defending its legalization on BGP on a weekly basis. :lol: The bottom line is that I feel marijuana has legitimate medicinal uses and benefits, especially to those who are sick and/or suffering. I also support an individual's decision to smoke recreational marijuana, if he chooses to do so. Of course, that comes with some restrictions (which are very similar to alcohol): he must be an adult (either 18 or 21), he must not do so while operating a vehicle, he must not do so in a public place, etc. I also support the legalization of marijuana due to the increased tax revenue that it would create. In January alone, Colorado sold approximately $14 MILLION worth of marijuana. From that $14,000,000, the state collected taxes totaling over $2 Million from recreational marijuana and over $1.5 million in medicinal marijuana. That's $3.5 MILLION in added tax revenue...in one month alone. If your position is that marijuana should be illegal because it has negative health effects, then there's a long laundry list of items that should be outlawed. Quite frankly, I think a lot of anti-legalization folks get caught up in the "stigma" of pot and cannot get past what they foresee as the problems, rather than objectively looking at the facts. Codein and morphine etc. have medicinal uses and benefits etc. also. That doesn't mean I think they should be legal for anyone to use at their own discretion. I don't know of any ill effects from taking codeine on occasion, yet you better have a prescription for it or it's against the law. Should we just give 3rd graders morphine to take in schools bathrooms too? Who gives a crap about how much tax revenue it will bring in if legalized. Guess what, you legalize heroin too and it will bring in boat loads of tax revenue also. Lets pass zanax out on the street corners, that would be a great tax revenue too. Wanting to make something legal just for the taxes is the stupidest argument I've ever heard on the subject.
March 11, 201412 yr Codein and morphine etc. have medicinal uses and benefits etc. also. That doesn't mean I think they should be legal for anyone to use at their own discretion. I don't know of any ill effects from taking codeine on occasion, yet you better have a prescription for it or it's against the law. Should we just give 3rd graders morphine to take in schools bathrooms too? Who gives a crap about how much tax revenue it will bring in if legalized. Guess what, you legalize heroin too and it will bring in boat loads of tax revenue also. Lets pass zanax out on the street corners, that would be a great tax revenue too. Wanting to make something legal just for the taxes is the stupidest argument I've ever heard on the subject. So you've never heard of anyone overdosing on codeine or Xanax?
March 11, 201412 yr Just heard that 15 Colorado school children are facing expulsion for eating marijuana laced candy. The teachers noticed abnormal behavior before identifying the cause. Some of the students claim that they were not aware of the candy being laced. Yet it's harmless. Why would they be expelled?
March 11, 201412 yr So you've never heard of anyone overdosing on codeine or Xanax? I've also witnessed people killing themselves when higher than a kite after smoking a ton of weed. I've also witnessed a family murdered by a guy driving stoned when he hit them head on. What's your point?
March 11, 201412 yr Author Yet it's harmless. Why would they be expelled? I think we can all agree that Colorado and Washington state have opened a big can of worms.
March 11, 201412 yr I think we can all agree that Colorado and Washington state have opened a big can of worms. Yes and politicians who endorse it.
March 11, 201412 yr Yet it's harmless. Why would they be expelled? It's still illegal for minors. It's also likely against school policy to possess marijuana on campus, much like many schools are "smoke free", "tobacco free" & "gun free" zones. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's appropriate in every situation.
March 11, 201412 yr It's still illegal for minors. It's also likely against school policy to possess marijuana on campus, much like many schools are "smoke free", "tobacco free" & "gun free" zones. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's appropriate in every situation. Thats worked out well hasnt it.
March 13, 201412 yr I've heard Obama talk about when he smoked pot and he has never, in any way, glorified it or said anything that would make a 3rd or 4th grader think, wow, that's cool I'm no fan of Obama, but come on. These kids either have broken homes, bad influences or older siblings. Or they are just followers. The kids I have known who got into pot early (and got caught) either had older siblings who got them into it and the others were their follower friends. For whatever that's worth.
March 13, 201412 yr Or they are just followers. The kids I have known who got into pot early (and got caught) either had older siblings who got them into it and the others were their follower friends. For whatever that's worth. Most of the kids that I knew that smoked pot took it from their parents stash. Kid down the street from me got grounded for 4 weeks one summer, could only leave the house to mow the yard, for taking his dad's stash. He wasn't grounded for smoking it, just for taking the last of his dad's. Dad even told him that if you want some let me know, just don't take all of mine.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.