This Date in Baseball History

STRIKE3

Baseball season is gearing up and let's bring back last years thread...This Date in Baseball History.

Each day, let's post information relative to MLB regarding what happened in history, on each date.

I love the game of Baseball, especially at the amateur level but enjoy the history of all.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Feb. 23, 1979

Willie Mays is selected by the BBWAA as a member of the Hall of Fame.

The 'Say-Hey Kid' receives 409 of the 432 votes cast with 23 writers inexplicably leaving one of the top ball players of all time off their ballots.

Feb. 23, 1979

Willie Mays is selected by the BBWAA as a member of the Hall of Fame.

The 'Say-Hey Kid' receives 409 of the 432 votes cast with 23 writers inexplicably leaving one of the top ball players of all time off their ballots.

I got a question, never could figure this one out. In Major League, Wilie Mays Hayes says, I hit like Mays and run like Hayes. We all know who Mays is, but who is Hayes.

I got a question, never could figure this one out. In Major League, Wilie Mays Hayes says, I hit like Mays and run like Hayes. We all know who Mays is, but who is Hayes.

I always assumed Hayes was referring to Bullit Bob Hayes of the Cowboys.

Feb. 24th

1966 University of Southern California pitcher Tom Seaver is signed by the Braves. The deal will later be voided, and the USC stand-out will be selected by the Mets in a special draft.

1990 At the age of 45, former Red Sox fan favorite Tony Conigliaro dies of pneumonia and kidney failure. He was the youngest player in AL ever to reach the 100 home run plateau.

• 2 weeks later...
Feb. 24th

1990 At the age of 45, former Red Sox fan favorite Tony Conigliaro dies of pneumonia and kidney failure. He was the youngest player in AL ever to reach the 100 home run plateau.

When you think of Tony C, what image comes to mind?

When I first saw him get hit, I cringed and to this day I still do. One of the most devastating hit by pitches, I have ever seen.

What year? 67? I don't remember actually seeing it but the picture on the cover of SI from back in the day is disturbing.

What year? 67? I don't remember actually seeing it but the picture on the cover of SI from back in the day is disturbing.
August 18: Tony Conigliaro of the Red Sox is beaned by the Angels Jack Hamilton, hit on the left cheek bone, below the eye. He will miss the rest of 1967 and all of 1968....here is photo, you mentioned.

Tony C's eye.jpg