Preferred Walk On

good knight

I am sure others can explain in more detail, but basically Preferred Walk On means you are guaranteed to be part of the team, versus walking on and trying out with no promise that they will even keep you on the team. That is the only guarantee. It is a way for a coach to bring in someone who might be talented enough to play for the team someday but he isn't sure enough about the player to offer a scholarship.

A Preferred walk-on is a recruited player who isn't given a scholarship. They are usually guaranteed to be part of the 105 players allowed at summer camp. This is in contrast to the walk-ons who come to an open tryout.

Some kids have to find out for themselves but if your choice is to attend a D-I school as a Preferred Walk-on and maybe play or attend at D-III or NAIA school and have a chance at significant playing time, go with the lower level. Life will be much more enjoyable. There are exceptions and your mileage may vary but this is my experience.

Many times preferred walk ons do get scholly offers down the road. The true walk on is very rare now, as there is usually just too much working against them (mostly not being able to do anything with the team until the season starts) for them to make it. One thing to keep in mind, is athletic scholarships are not an automatic 4 year ride. Athletic scholarships are a year to year thing, especially in sports outside of football. You do have to perform (at least in the eye's of your coach) to keep your ride.

In addition, PWOs can start practicing immediately . A walk-on has to wait until the first day of school.

Clyde hit the nail on the head!! PWO's being able to attend the 1st day of practice with the scholarhip athletes is huge vs. having to, in most cases, waiting another 3-4 weeks when the general student population starts school before you can ever see a practice. In D-1, being part of the 105 players that a team can field on a roster is a tremendous advantage.

Clyde hit the nail on the head!! PWO's being able to attend the 1st day of practice with the scholarhip athletes is huge vs. having to, in most cases, waiting another 3-4 weeks when the general student population starts school before you can ever see a practice. In D-1, being part of the 105 players that a team can field on a roster is a tremendous advantage.

Does this allow the PWO to work out off season with the rest of the team?

Does this allow the PWO to work out off season with the rest of the team?

As Sarge stated, it does. At least two NKY kids - Fogle from Conner and Cole Mosier from WV - are PWOs. NCC's Jack Gruenschlaeger started out as a PWO. He might be on scholly now.

How about the "in line for scholarship" part of the discussion? I would be interested in seeing stats on how many preferred walk on situations become scholarship players. My gut tells me, no more than 20%.

Further, to get that scholarship you almost surely have to be getting playing time, if not starting. If we look at PWO's who get little playing time, I don't see a scholarship no matter how hard you work every day in practice.

How about the "in line for scholarship" part of the discussion? I would be interested in seeing stats on how many preferred walk on situations become scholarship players. My gut tells me, no more than 20%.

Further, to get that scholarship you almost surely have to be getting playing time, if not starting. If we look at PWO's who get little playing time, I don't see a scholarship no matter how hard you work every day in practice.

For high majors I'd guess its way lower. Football-wise at least.

Difference between preferred walk on and grey shirt?

Grey shirt, say at WKU, is on scholarship but doesnt enroll in the fall Enrolls in January after the first semester. Scholly doesnt count against this class. Counts against next year's class.