Preferred Walk On

good knight

How about the "in line for scholarship" part of the discussion? I would be interested in seeing stats on how many preferred walk on situations become scholarship players. My gut tells me, no more than 20%.

Further, to get that scholarship you almost surely have to be getting playing time, if not starting. If we look at PWO's who get little playing time, I don't see a scholarship no matter how hard you work every day in practice.

This number is probably less than 20%. There are at least 20 questions that the athlete had better be asking before accepting a PWO. As for playing time to make that impact he better show out in practice and find a way to get on the field, special teams, special pkgs, etc. If not he will get caught up in the mix and not get noticed. There are some success stories of course but PWO's have to have the right situation.

I have the utmost respect for walk ons. I can't imagine doing a full time job like football in college and being a full time student and not getting compensated for it. Those players are there for the love of the game. I would say a small percentage get a scholarship and it is usually the last year if they do.

Grey shirt, say at WKU, is on scholarship but doesnt enroll in the fall Enrolls in January after the first semester. Scholly doesnt count against this class. Counts against next year's class.

I believe Lex Sowards is Grey shirt at Indiana State.