Ryle--had 30 pitchers tryout?? Need CLASSES!!!

15thSportsFan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Ryle had 30 pitchers and catchers. However, Beechwood had 30 kids tryout. I get your point, just clarifying.

Ryle. Boone Co. Conner, Cov. Cath. Dixie, etc. will cut more players than Ludlow, Beechwood, etc. will have tryout. I am sure there are players at Cov Cath (and other schools) that are cut that could start for many of the smaller high schools, because of the breakdown in players/per class Beechwood plans to keep every able body that shows up.

I personally hope that Kentucky doesn't go to different classes for baseball...I would like to see the winners of all 16 regions go to a single elimination state tournament like the sweet 16 in basketball. Regardless of classes and numbers Pikeville, Paintsville, and Middlesboro will have 3 of the top programs in the mountians most years.

I disagree, InTheGame. I think class systems would be great for the sport. Like i said yesterday, EVERY state that borders KY has classes in baseball. And most in the nation. There must be something to that.

Would you want to share a district, regional, or state championship? When Ryle starts winning state year after year, or heck, even the 9th region, then you may have an argument. In my four years of playing baseball, whether it was freshman, jv, or varsity, the team I was on beat Ryle every year. This is from a Class A school that had sub-.500 records for my first two years. I don't care if 100 pitchers and 100 catchers come out every year. It comes down to the quality of player, and makes it that much sweeter when you beat a bigger school.

I personally hope that Kentucky doesn't go to different classes for baseball...I would like to see the winners of all 16 regions go to a single elimination state tournament like the sweet 16 in basketball. Regardless of classes and numbers Pikeville, Paintsville, and Middlesboro will have 3 of the top programs in the mountians most years.

This would be another option that should take place regardless of the class system. That should be the reward for winning region at a minimum. It would only add one day to the tournament at Applebee's Park.

In those 30, how many are pitchers? How many are GOOD pitchers?? If you have 30 trying out for pitcher/catcher, you HAVE to find more good ones than if you have 30 players altogether. Talk about an advantage.

Probably 8 are pitchers and of those only 3 are proven. The other 5 are potential pitchers.

Its because in baseball 1 or 2 good pitchers can take you a long way. Its not and never has been about numbers that come out. Its about what those players do and how good they are. Henry Clay will have 70 some kids try out, but we will keep around 30 to make up two teams.

When you hear numbers like that, it's amazing that small schools like Beechwood, Pikeville, Paintsville, Middlesboro, Heath, etc....are able to be as good as they are.

They play softer schedules though....look at Beechwoods schedule, they play

Heritage Academy, Lloyd, Homes, Dayton, Belevue, Villa Madonna, Calvery Christian, Ludlow, Silver Grove, Newport and Walton...ect

Don't get me wrong, they have a great coach and a great bunch of kids, but they will not get thrown to the wolves against big schools.