Owsley County?

Should Owsley go ahead and throw in the towl, or do you think they could turn things around by tourney time?

I watched the game against Jackson City the other night and it was flat out embarrassing on Owsley's behath. They got beat up and down the floor all night long, there transition defense was too nonchalant. They played like they didint have anything to win for. I heard that some of these boys didnt play ball last year, but you dont have to play ball the previous year to play hard on defense. Defense comes from the HEART, if these boys dont start playing hard each night in and night out, its going to be a heart breaker come tourney time, because it dont look very good for them next year either (because of the lost of Neeley). Some of these boys dont realize what it means to get a chance to play High School Basketball, until its gone. Once its gone there is nothing you can do to get it back. I figured that out on my own, because i regret not giving it a 110% every practice, game, etc.

Should Owsley go ahead and throw in the towl, or do you think they could turn things around by tourney time?

I watched the game against Jackson City the other night and it was flat out embarrassing on Owsley's behath. They got beat up and down the floor all night long, there transition defense was too nonchalant. They played like they didint have anything to win for. I heard that some of these boys didnt play ball last year, but you dont have to play ball the previous year to play hard on defense. Defense comes from the HEART, if these boys dont start playing hard each night in and night out, its going to be a heart breaker come tourney time, because it dont look very good for them next year either (because of the lost of Neeley). Some of these boys dont realize what it means to get a chance to play High School Basketball, until its gone. Once its gone there is nothing you can do to get it back. I figured that out on my own, because i regret not giving it a 110% every practice, game, etc.

I total agree :thumb: Owsley Co. is going to have to make some big changes come tourney time. :confused:

They should never throw in the towel!

Sounds to me like the coach needs to do his job; "coach". It's the coaches job to prepare his players for the games they play. If he has players on the floor that will not give 100%, then he should have someone else on the floor that will give 100%. They may not be the best players or atheletes but, I would rather get beat with kids that are trying and doing the best they can than get beat with kids that think they are "superstars" or play selfishly and not put out the effort that they should.

Anyone who ever played highschool basketball in the sate of Kentucky knows what its like to miss something. You dont really think about it while you're a player, but after that last season, it feels like someone in your family has died. There will always be a void, especially if you can look back and not be able to say you gave it everything you had everytime your feet touched the hardwood.

Its one thing to get beat, its another to give up like it sounds like Owsley did. I feel like a lot of these younger players only care if their name is the Lexington Herald the next morning in fine print with the box scores. Maybe they should just clean house and only play the players that really give it all they got instead of some of their "better" players, they may lose by more than what they are, but at least they will be a TEAM, and it could also make some the better players realize what they're missing by not giving it all, or they could quit.... but would it matter?

Owsley's talent is much better than their record. The Neely kid is one of the better point guards in the region if he plays next year. They just need someone that can pull them together as a team and get them to believe. Just a little success will be a huge confidence builder. It will always be an uphill battle for the smaller schools like Owsley, but they have talented kids if they can regain some confidence and develop the proper mental approach. I hate to see any team suffer through what they have had to endure this year. Just an opinion from an outsider's perspective.

Owsley's talent is much better than their record. The Neely kid is one of the better point guards in the region if he plays next year. They just need someone that can pull them together as a team and get them to believe. Just a little success will be a huge confidence builder. It will always be an uphill battle for the smaller schools like Owsley, but they have talented kids if they can regain some confidence and develop the proper mental approach. I hate to see any team suffer through what they have had to endure this year. Just an opinion from an outsider's perspective.

Your opinion is appreaciated from this Owsley County fan. :thumb:

Why would you want to tell a group of kids to quit. There is more to basketball than just winning. The last time I checked I these kids were in school to get an education and to become leaders of the future. Starting post that encourage students to quit some thing because they are not doing well is not a proper way to teach kids to accomplish their goals. Imagine if Thomas Edison would have become discouraged and gave up on the light bulb.

Why would you want to tell a group of kids to quit. There is more to basketball than just winning. The last time I checked I these kids were in school to get an education and to become leaders of the future. Starting post that encourage students to quit some thing because they are not doing well is not a proper way to teach kids to accomplish their goals. Imagine if Thomas Edison would have become discouraged and gave up on the light bulb.

:thumb: :thumb:

I think the thread was referring to who should get the majority of minutes. Without Neeley I think it would be really really hard for Owsley to beat a good Lee team. So, wouldnt it make sense to play those younger guys more & get them some valuable experience. It might also help them to play without Smith in the line up some. He's going to be gone next year so get them some experience with there future lineup. Not throwing in the towel but playing for the future. Pro teams do this when they know they arent in the playoffs, get those young guys some game experience.

I would never tell a team or a player to give up and guit. I admire the smaller schools who go out and play game after game and seldom win. It takes alot of grit for a really talented player to stick it out when their team struggles.

They should never throw in the towel!

Sounds to me like the coach needs to do his job; "coach". It's the coaches job to prepare his players for the games they play. If he has players on the floor that will not give 100%, then he should have someone else on the floor that will give 100%. They may not be the best players or atheletes but, I would rather get beat with kids that are trying and doing the best they can than get beat with kids that think they are "superstars" or play selfishly and not put out the effort that they should.

I agree. Every player should give it all every minute of every game. Thats the way the game was suppose to be played. When things get rough ,thats the time when a team needs to dig deep and see what they're made of. This teaches young players the difference between staying a boy or becoming a man. I dont see how anyone can just quit on their team when times are down and how a team just quits on the game they are suppose to love playing, win or loose. I agree if players on a team quit then there are no team. The coach must either get it out of them or replace them, that simple.

I'm not saying everyplayer that is currently playing needs to be replaced, IMO besides Congelton and Smith(which I feel gives it their all) the other spots should be wide open, this will help practices and if a player gets beat out by a younger player then it just builds on next year's expeirence coming back, which helps the team in the long run.