Will this be the year that no NKY team wins a State Championship?

Eagle2013

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
I believe as most do Highlands is NKY's best chance but this is probably the most vulnerable Bluebird team they have had during their current championship run. Highlands is the 4A favorite but I don't think its a slam dunk by any means as it has been in previous years.

Simon Kenton has a shot at getting to the big game but I am not sure they can beat whichever Louisville area school they may face.

I really don't think any of the other usual suspects (NCC & Beechwood) are real threats this year.

Top to bottom this has been a down year in NKY. I think Highlands will win State but I wouldn't be shocked if they don't. I think NKY is closer to getting 0 championship than they are of getting 2.

What do you think?

Not surprised!

My take:

1A: Will be tough for Beechwood to win as Mayfield stands in the way, but definetly do able. Obviously if they can get past Mayfield, no way they don't win the title.

2A: I think Newcath gets to the state championship and runs in to a tough Caldwell Co team that wants revenge from last year. Newcath is capable of winning but will be an underdog.

4A: Highlands rolls with no games within 2 touchdowns. Quote me on that if you'd like.

5A: As much as I'd like to see a similar run that Cooper made last year, I just don't see either Scott or Conner being able to repeat that performance. My guess is the furthest either makes it is the region finals where they lose to either South Oldham or Anderson Co. I like Conner's chances a little better than Scott's, simply because they are more balanced.

6A: Either Dixie or Simon Kenton will have a favorable draw as their toughest game likely wouldn't come until the semi finals against McCracken County which will be a tough game but definetly winnable. Still, I don't see either beating Scott Co, Trinity, or St X in the finals. I think SK would have the best chance simply because they are more balanced with Kuntz. I do like Dixie's run game better, however, and ability to control the clock with Washington, Moore, Caple, and Owens.

In short, Highlands is the only team that I see winning a state title but I don't think it's out of the question that we see 3 teams in the state title game. (Highlands, Newcath, and SK/Dixie)

NKY is a mortal lock to get one. Highlands will win 4A. I really can't imagine a scenario it doesn't happen.

I think NKY is closer to getting two than zero titles, as Beechwood and NewCath both have shots. Neither are the favorites, but if things fall the right way in one game for either, you have the area's second title winner.

And whoever comes out of NKY in 6A at least has a pretty good chance to make the title game. I can't see any way whichever that school is wins the title game, but you can't win it if you don't get there.

My guess is NKY has three schools in the finals, Highlands, NCC, and a 6A school.

Close calls - 7 point victory over 5A #2 John Hardin, 3 pt Loss to D1 Ohio Top 10 Elder, 2 pt win over 5A Warren Cental

I see where you're coming from on the close calls. I can't really speak to the JH game as I didn't see it, but heard it wasn't really as close as the score indicates.

WC game was close. 5-6 defensive starters out. Forget what we said about depth at Highlands, any team that starts half their JV against another teams 1's is going to struggle.

You keep thinking they're vulnerable. I really hope JC, CCH, LC, BC and Collins all believe that and bring their A-games. It will make the smack down even sweeter.

No one is beating Highlands. So that is the answer to the topic question

Eat up boys, there is alot of crow waiting