High Scoring Offenses

GNGsports

Going over some stats for my weekly Scott County preview and the Cardinals have scored a state's best 238 points to this point.

If my math is correct (which as a journalist, is very questionable sometimes) Scott County is scoring a TD every two minutes and 45 seconds.

34 Total TDs on 83.55 minutes of possession.

My question is... while this looks like a high rate to me, I'm wondering if it does to everyone else? Or is this pretty common for some teams in Ky? (Only been involved in covering KY HS football for the last two years - not much experience as some of you guys).

On a couple of things that is 59.5 points per game. It has been consistent based on the KHSAA scoreboard. Though they were only leading 7-0 at half vs. Ryle, then exploded it appears in the 2nd half. to win 63-14. I would also say that the teams, Lafayette ( best in Lexington the last 5 years), Ryle ( has played for a state title and has probably played Trinity the closest besides Scott Co. last year when they took them to the 4th quarter in 2010 semis) PRP ( played in the state championship last year). and Madison Central who may not be the strongest but is a big 6A school. Scoring is scoring, are these all offensive points or has the defense contributed to this. But non the less, pretty impressive. Also impressive according to stats that they have only put it in the air 31 times and threw 11 TD's per KHSAA, that too is impressive. They are a running team so must be some big plays.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Franklin Co. Finish the season last year with a 59 point game avg? Thanks to Mr Timmons.

I think Cooper was the only team to hold them below 30 pts in their playoff game. Which brings up an interesting question.

Would you rather have a team that leads in scoring or a team that leads in defense with points per game?

Although great offenses are fun to watch I think I'd rather have a defense over offense. A great defense can cause turnovers which can lead to the points needed to win a game.

Check out Caldwell County's numbers too. 52 points per game. Several different weapons. They got the ball back on their own 22 with 48.2 seconds left last Friday, went the length of the field in 3 plays and 26.2 seconds for a td.

Good thing about a fast pace offense. No matter what you are in two minute drill.

1917 Owensboro team went 7-0 and outscored foes 509-2.

That's averaging 72.7 points a game ... and it was 1917!!!

I have no idea how long quarters were back then. From what I can tell, they just kinda made things up as they went.

From my research of old Princeton/Caldwell County teams, I've seen football games where the quarters were listed as 10 minutes, 12 minutes and/or 15 minutes.