Pawn Stars.....2 thumbs down

Hellbird

If you walk in their shop with something that you think is worth $4000 and their expert tells you it's worth $15,000 are you going to even continue talking to the pawn shop once they offer $1000? Whose the idiot if you do? Then to sell it for $3500?

They are in business to make money. How much should they have given the guy? What happens if they pay $10,000 and it sets there for 10-12 months? Also when they get the appraisals those numbers are usually in an auction setting where you have 5 or 6 collectors bidding up the price. Your taking a big risk hoping one of those guys walks into your shop. And even then you aren't getting $15,000 for it. Plus if you did sell it at auction you have the auction fees to pay, so you aren't walking away with $15,000. Rick's looking to buy cheap and sell fast. As he says, he isn't a collector.

I agree with you 100%, I would of walked out as soon as he made that offer. That isn't the issue I'm talking about, it's the continuos acting as if it's a hassel for them to buy something of that value off you...if it's such a problem then why run a pawn shop?

It amazes me how many people don't understand the concept of a pawn shop.

I know a ton about pawn shops. Did you read my first post? I was comparing 2 of them as TV shows and which one I think is better and why.

I never once said I don't understand the concept. Btw, you want to see how most pawn shops in big cities work then watch hardcore pawn.

I know a ton about pawn shops. Did you read my first post? I was comparing 2 of them as TV shows and which one I think is better and why.

I never once said I don't understand the concept. Btw, you want to see how most pawn shops in big cities work then watch hardcore pawn.

Sorry, I wasn't directing that comment at you personally. Just a general observation from watching the show.

The Pawn Stars shop in Vegas has gone so commercialized now. If you were to visit, about half the store is their own t-shirts and don't expect to see the Old Man, Rick, Chumlee or Big Hoss. They are too busy travelling and doing promotions or they are simple to "big" to actually work anymore.

I hate all the Pawn Star shows. Just not a fan.

Here's the thing...if you have something of value, don't take it to a Pawn Shop. Simple as that. Pawn shops are for stolen DVD players and Weed eaters.

Don't forget camera equipment. I put together a very nice outfit several years ago with pawn shop stuff and managed to get about a grand worth of equipment for $200 or so just because it sat up there so long. Best pawn shops are in military base towns.

I pretty much hate all reality TV. I've seen this a few times because my daughter's boyfriend is a big fan and we were over at his place. If I have to watch something like this, I prefer Antiques Road Show. You get the history and appraisal without all of the "unscripted" crap drama.