Top Assistant Coaches across the state....since we have a Head Coach Thread

Nick Napier - Bell County

If nothing else, he's good luck. His first year as an assistant at Scott County, they won the state. His first year as an assistant at his alma mater, Bell County, they won region for the first time in decades.

Winning the state was probably a coincidence, but I don't think winning the region necessarily was. Not saying he guided them or that they couldn't have done it without him, but having a young guy come in from a place like Scott County probably didn't hurt.

He's still a younger guy, but he's someone on my radar. If you want to look through my archived posts, I named him and Brad Sizemore (then an assistant at South Laurel) as two up and comers in the mountains. A short time later, Sizemore was the head man at North Laurel and took them to state for the first time in school history. Tuck away Napier's name and remember it, because I think he'll hit the ground running once he gets his first head coaching gig.

Also, don't know the guy's names, but one year at the Sweet 16, we sat near Coach Stovall (Christian County) and his staff. They all seemed really knowledgable and like a group of guys who enjoyed working together. They were class acts in my opinion. Stovall even took the time to answer a nuanced question I asked him, and I loved hearing his assistants discussing the games.

You guys are forgetting about two of the best in the biz... Buz Wimzie and Mike Listerman of Holmes. Their credentials speak for themselves.

Coach Booher has one hell of a coaching staff at Holmes. Including Ross Hart, 3 guys on the bench with him that could all be head coaches.

Agreed on Wimzie and Listerman. I was going to post Wimzie and wasn't sure of how to spell his name, but I knew someone else would give him some recognition.

Holmes and Muhlenburg County have all-star coaching staffs and/or the potential to have them with whose in their building unless something has changed. Doesn't Muhlenburg County have Hopper, Stovall, and maybe more in their building?

This is an easy choice. Tony Wise at Henry Clay. Also, Brad Levy at Scott County is pretty slick too.

I forgot about Wise. If memory serves me he won 21 at Frankfort a couple years ago and then a bunch of games at Montgomery. Sure Coach Brown will depend a lot of both Wise and Weigel as they try to replace Cunningham and Grundy this year.

I forgot about Wise. If memory serves me he won 21 at Frankfort a couple years ago and then a bunch of games at Montgomery. Sure Coach Brown will depend a lot of both Wise and Weigel as they try to replace Cunningham and Grundy this year.

Could'nt have said it better myself!

Bryan Hyatt at Anderson County has to also be considered as 1 of the top asst coaches in KY. Bryan has spent his entire career(at least 8-10 years) at Anderson County High School. He has been the #1 asst under Glen Drury for most of those. He has been a player and the #1 asst for multiple Anderson County teams that have been district champs and region champs. I would assume that Bryan is considered by many in that area as the Head Coach in waiting.

I think if you ask any head coach, his key to success is having solid assistants and utilizing them to get the most out of their players. A great assistant knows his role and does not try to step on the toes of the head coach. He handles his duties and give suggestions when needed. A lot of time a great assistant may not be very vocal on the bench, but what he does at practice, breaking down films and scouting is where he could shine.

Bryan Hyatt at Anderson County has to also be considered as 1 of the top asst coaches in KY. Bryan has spent his entire career(at least 8-10 years) at Anderson County High School. He has been the #1 asst under Glen Drury for most of those. He has been a player and the #1 asst for multiple Anderson County teams that have been district champs and region champs. I would assume that Bryan is considered by many in that area as the Head Coach in waiting.

Yep, my thoughts too. Don't know how much longer Drury has left, might be sticking around to take over when he steps down? If he goes, someone will have a good one.