KHSAA Tournament Update

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Well I'm sure there would be cries about the Kenton County issue, but considering that the 6th and 7th combined have only three teams that aren't from Jefferson County, not too much to be done about that.

And I agree with you on that totally BUT watch and see if some of the school from Oldham don't wind up in the 6/7!

And I agree with you on that totally BUT watch and see if some of the school from Oldham don't wind up in the 6/7!

With the western Kentucky regions having fewer schools now than any of the other 13 regions, I would think the Bullitts will be moving out of Louisville before anyone else, Oldham or otherwise, moves into the 6th or 7th.

With the western Kentucky regions having fewer schools now than any of the other 13 regions, I would think the Bullitts will be moving out of Louisville before anyone else, Oldham or otherwise, moves into the 6th or 7th.

Agree, you will see everyone moving west but it would be much easier if you just start at the top and just keep moving west, wouldn't you agree, especially with the Ninth having something like 20/21 teams (I think)

Agree, you will see everyone moving west but it would be much easier if you just start at the top and just keep moving west, wouldn't you agree, especially with the Ninth having something like 20/21 teams (I think)

I agree. But I think the Campbells may drop to the 10th, keeping the Boones and Kentons in the 9th. When the Campbells drop, you might see Montgomery going to the 16th, Clark/Bourbon to the 11th, Frankfort teams to the 8th. Of course that is all speculation.

I agree. But I think the Campbells may drop to the 10th, keeping the Boones and Kentons in the 9th. When the Campbells drop, you might see Montgomery going to the 16th, Clark/Bourbon to the 11th, Frankfort teams to the 8th. Of course that is all speculation.

Agree and it all going to start with the 9th losing the Campbell HS's (which I think will happen) or the Boone HS (if Belueve, Dayton merge and Silver Grove consolidates with Campbell) it will be Boone. It has to happen no if and or butts about it!

I don't know what they're going to do with it any more. The 6th/7th divide used to be East/West but they've moved Moore, Fern Creek and J-Town over to the Sixth and brought Portland Christian, Central and Shawnee into the 7th making it more of a North/South divide. Who know's what they're planning.

I don't know what they're going to do with it any more. The 6th/7th divide used to be East/West but they've moved Moore, Fern Creek and J-Town over to the Sixth and brought Portland Christian, Central and Shawnee into the 7th making it more of a North/South divide. Who know's what they're planning.

I think we all can agree there are some huge changes coming!

With all due respect to PT Barnum and JA Bailey, the Greatest Show on Earth got its first entry with Fleming County winning the 16th Region. The Panthers defeated Rowan County for the 5th time this year in becoming the first to make the Sweet 16 this year. Fleming will be making its fourth trip to the State Tournament, but its first as a member of the 16th Region, the previous three were when they were in the 10th, the last time was 1999.

There are 32 teams remaining for the other 15 spots in the Sweet 16. Ten of those remaining 32 are District Runners-up and at least one runner-up is guaranteed to make the Sweet 16 from the 12th Region where Wayne County takes on Somerset. Six teams still have a chance to repeat as their region's representative in the Sweet 16 and for Oldham County, it could be a three-peat. As for my beloved small schools, two All "A" Sweet 16 teams still have a chance to make the big show in Somerset and Knott County Central.

12 region championships and the 9th region semifinals on the schedule today. Please refer to Post #1 for the times and sites of the championship games. The 9th region semifinals are scheduled for noon and 1:30pm (probably closer to 2, I would think). Good luck to all participating teams.

For those who follow the smaller schools (like me), 12 of the 16 teams who participated in the Sweet 16 of the All "A" state tournament are still on the road to Rupp. The 4 teams eliminated from the KHSAA state tournament are Collegiate, Louisville Holy Cross, Model, and University Heights.
Umm. Not any more. With the exception of possibly Somerset or Newport or even Owensboro Catholic, there will be no Hickory playing in the Sweet 16 this year.

Does anyone know if Kentucky is the only state where a team can lose a game in the post-season and still win the state??

In Florida you can lose in the district and still win the state. At least that was the case when I lived there four years ago.

There are 13 spots filled for this year’s Sweet 16 and 3 region final games are left today. Please see Post #1 for sites and times for these three games. There are 4 repeat participants in the 2013 Sweet 16, Hopkinsville, John Hardin, Johnson Central, and Knott County Central. Knott is the only All “A” Sweet 16 participant to make the Big Show.

The South Oldham Dragons will be making their 1st ever Sweet 16 appearance in the school’s 24 year history and in Steve Simpson’s 13th year as head coach of the program and member of the 8th Region. Montgomery County will be making their 2nd Sweet 16 appearance in Happy Osborne’s 1st year as Head Coach of the Indians. This is their first since 1995 which was also in the 10th Region. John Hardin will be making their 3rd Sweet 16 appearance, all in the 5th Region (not bad for their 12th year of existence). Clay County, the elder statesman of the group (so to speak) will be making their 28th Sweet 16 appearance, their first since 2001, all in the 13th Region. Ballard will be making their 15th Sweet 16 appearance and their first since 2010, all in the 7th Region. Pleasure Ridge Park will be making their 13th Sweet 16 appearance and their first since 2006, all in the 6th Region. Head Coach Dale Mabrey is in his 32nd year with PRP. A pair of schools will be making their 9th Sweet 16 appearance in Wayne County, led by Rodney Woods in his 27th year with the Cardinals, will be there for the first time since 2011 and all 9 in the 12th Region and Knott County Central, all 9 in the 14th Region. Johnson Central will be making their 7th Sweet 16 appearance, all in the 15th Region. Hopkinsville will be making their 6th Sweet 16 appearance, all in the 2nd Region. A pair of schools will be making their 4th appearance in the Sweet 16 in Ohio County, who will be there for the first time since 2005, all 4 having occurred in the 3rd Region and Madison Central, who will be there for the first time since 2006 and all 4 in the 11th Region. This is Allen Feldhaus' 20th year with the Indians. In addition, this is Fleming County's Mark Starns first year as head coach, resulting in a Sweet 16 appearance for the Panthers. Congratulations to all teams who have made it this far.

My wife and I will be attending the 9th Region final tonight, hope to see some of you there. Good luck to all 6 teams participating for those last 3 spots.

Edited by statman

Additionally, Clay County in Robert Marcum's first two years in the 13th Region Tournament was eliminated in overtime both times and finally broke through this year with a berth in the Sweet 16. BB King, Knott's head coach has had an excellent early career with the Patriots, three regional finals and the last two years going to the Sweet 16.