Region Officials year end rankings

That the state tournament demands the top officials. When an official is rated as Numero Uno in his/her region, then he should be the region's rep at Rupp Arena. That is the point of rankings, correct?

My understanding is that each region sends in the the top 5 refs for boys and top 5 for girls (a ref could be on both lists).

From there the KHSAA makes a determination as to the boys/girls issue as well as who will ref in the Sweet 16 in Lex and BG.

My understanding is that each region sends in the the top 5 refs for boys and top 5 for girls (a ref could be on both lists).

From there the KHSAA makes a determination as to the boys/girls issue as well as who will ref in the Sweet 16 in Lex and BG.

I think that system is fair and is the best. I don't profess to be the king of ranking officials, but in my own humble opinion I am solid and fair. There is one 9th region official that most consider one of the best up here who sends a shiver down my back every time I see him assigned to a big game. Two reasons ... he will not blow his whistle for a quarter at a time and then will suddenly go whistle happy and second, he always changes and tightens up how he calls a game when it gets late in a tight game. That type of inconsistency is the absolute worst trait an official can have IMO.

There is one 9th region official that most consider one of the best up here who sends a shiver down my back every time I see him assigned to a big game. Two reasons ... he will not blow his whistle for a quarter at a time and then will suddenly go whistle happy and second, he always changes and tightens up how he calls a game when it gets late in a tight game.

100% incorrect, VOR.

I think that system is fair and is the best. I don't profess to be the king of ranking officials, but in my own humble opinion I am solid and fair. There is one 9th region official that most consider one of the best up here who sends a shiver down my back every time I see him assigned to a big game. Two reasons ... he will not blow his whistle for a quarter at a time and then will suddenly go whistle happy and second, he always changes and tightens up how he calls a game when it gets late in a tight game. That type of inconsistency is the absolute worst trait an official can have IMO.

does this official have a name?

does this official have a name?

He does and most of us up this way know who he is. I agree completely with the inconsistency of officiating- it's my worst pet peeve. A foul is a foul, no matter the time, score or situation. If it's a foul early, call the same thing late. Drive's me crazy.

He does and most of us up this way know who he is. I agree completely with the inconsistency of officiating- it's my worst pet peeve. A foul is a foul, no matter the time, score or situation. If it's a foul early, call the same thing late. Drive's me crazy.

Well can you clue the rest of us in on his name?

Not sure of the official in question, but I agree with you 100% that too many officials call the game differently in the fourth quarter than they do in the first and second. Drives me nuts!

The point of this thread wasn't to bash any officials. Rather it was to call into question the selection process. In my company, we send qualifying people on a year-end sales trip. If I finish in the top 5 of my tenure group, I'm not going. I have to finish in the top 3. That's just the way it is b/c our best is who qualified. I don't get KHSAA's thinking here.