Highlands Offseason Thread

jbwill2

I have a sneaky suspicion that you already know that answer. I was confused by why McCoy was back deep too. But, it all worked out for the best.

Now, as for Hayes, he is a dynamic player. I'm wondering if he is the "big" hitter the defense is looking for. He closes in on a runner as fast as anyone I have ever seen when he played defense. And then he makes then pay for coming his way, or any way for that matter. He could return kicks next year and maybe play D.

That would be interesting, but who then backs up Harris or will he be the bellcow?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dale mentioned in today's Enquirer that he is thinking of some players that may need to change positions.

Maybe this is as simple as an O-lineman moving from guard to center or a S moving to corner.

It may be a little more involved in having a player move from O to D. Maybe one of the many WR's move to defense to play LB or CB. Time will tell.

I would like to say I am sorry to all the BGP'ers for getting my feathers in a up roar. But it just brothers me that a young man makes a mistake and can not live it down by some posters on here.They always say his name & grades in the same post. Yes three years ago they would have been right. But now with the coaches life lessons he as learned and willing to help his teammates any way he can. I will now leave this to rest and start dreaming about how sweet (7) sounds GO BIRDS

I'm not "in the know" or close to the program, so I just want to recap what I've read so far in this thread....

Offense - OL will be very strong, QB has a great arm, 5-6 very capable receivers, a bruiser RB and a jet like RB - offense could possibly be as good or better than this year?

Defense - played a lot of young very good players and will be as good or better than last year?

So overall the team will be as good or better than this year?

They very well could be better than this yrs team. Dale said last nite that this yrs team is the "best ever", I heard with my good ear too.

That then would make next yrs team, well... "the Best ever". LOL

I'm not "in the know" or close to the program, so I just want to recap what I've read so far in this thread....

Offense - OL will be very strong, QB has a great arm, 5-6 very capable receivers, a bruiser RB and a jet like RB - offense could possibly be as good or better than this year?

Defense - played a lot of young very good players and will be as good or better than last year?

So overall the team will be as good or better than this year?

Should be better IMO. Outside if nit having a McCoy type offensive player, they certainly will be stacked at every skill position. Houliston will be more of a pocket passer and Hayes should replace Seidl as the burner back. Frog was a lot of fun to watch that's for sure.

I'd like to see the Birds utilize the big TE Nick True more in the seam. If Nick can continue to get better as a receiver he could blossom as a SR and provide a great option in the middle of the field.

Some are obviously getting their feelings hurt on here. Lets keep this discussion to next years football team of what happens on the field.

I say Birds will be overall better than this year's team. Yes, they have some studs to replace, but there are plenty ready and willing to step in. There will again be over 90 kids on the team, so numbers won't be a problem. Actually, it is, but a good one. I really see this team getting a lot of recognition preseason and as the year progresses. Remember, the 2013 version of the Birds will have 5/6 top players in the tri-state according to a local media outlet. Yes, the pressure of continuing the "Run" will be huge, but the 2013 team of coaches and players I'm sure are up to the challenge. Remember, each years team stands on the shoulders of the previous years team. Looks like they have a pretty good foundation.

"Stairway to Seven"!!!

Go Birds!!!

"stairway to seven" showin' your age Tdy....

After thinking about this for a few days, next years team should be very good.

On offense you have 2 running backs, 4 or 5 lineman, 4 or 5 wideouts and a tight end returning. Only position to be filled is QB and Drew Houliston has shown a lot of good things over the last two years.

On defense you have 2 or 3 lineman, 3 or 4 linebackers and 2 or 3 backs returning.

Special teams will have key return men back as well as the placekicker. The only need here will be a new punter.

This team may show some signs of struggling early while Mr. Houliston settles in at QB, but defense should be pretty solid from the word "go." Look for Wrobleski, Cochran and Abner to have huge years in 2013.

Any word on whether Highlands will be scrimmaging Trinity again in 2013? Also, any updates on HHS trying to schedule a tenth game to replace the Ryle game?

Yes to Trinity scrimmage. Waiting on contract for Ryle replacement.

For the record I think between Harris's bruising running style and Hayes's jet like spurts of speed, HHS will be hard to match up again next year. Add in the fact that Houliston will have 5-6 quality receivers to throw to, the offense will again be exciting but very difficult to stop and contain. Can't wait!
I felt that Harris had a good balance of power and finesse his soph year but lost some finesse this past season. It will be interesting to see how he runs next season. Having him bulk up and using him as a power back limits his strengths IMO

I felt that Harris had a good balance of power and finesse his soph year but lost some finesse this past season. It will be interesting to see how he runs next season. Having him bulk up and using him as a power back limits his strengths IMO

Maybe he is one of the players Dale referenced as possibly switching positions from O to D. I bet he'd make one heck of LB. He seems to like the contact.

I think it's the responsibility of the coaches letting the kids know that bulking up doesn't equate to effectiveness. Kids must strike a balance between the two. The Guidugli's did a good job of this or should I say the old man did. Harris's added bulk lessened his effective running style despite his added strength as evidenced by the numerous pancakes throughout the season. Maybe if a little less bulky and a little more nimble, he would have run around them this year instead of over them.