How do I become a head coach?

Fatstacker

Coach J's advice is excellent. Listen to him - he knows whereof he speaks.

I would add that it would be very helpful if you find some way to thicken your skin - very thick. NO ONE in this world is ever second guessed as much as a head coach - and the amazing part is that it's usually by some guy that played youth football, and got cheated out of his chance to play in the NFL... by the guy that coached him in the 5th grade. :rolleyes:

Frances

Fatstacker,

I'm in a similar situation, but I am a first year teacher and assistant coach...Before getting this job I had no coaching experience, but I did have knowledge of the game and a strong desire to be a head coach someday. I lucked out and have a great mentoring head coach to learn from. Coach J said most of the things in his previous post that I would say to you...all I can add is dedication and hard work DOES pay off...Learn as much as you can as often as you can. I hope to coach against you someday when we become head coaches...Good Luck and I wish you the best!

Get in bed with any Administrator and you are a shoe in..........then if you are lucky you can get a nice fat salary, teach a couple classes a day, get whatever you want, whenever you want and count the days til you can retire.......

But what if he wants to become a head coach AND also wants to be able to look himself in the mirror each day without being ashamed?

Get in bed with any Administrator and you are a shoe in..........then if you are lucky you can get a nice fat salary, teach a couple classes a day, get whatever you want, whenever you want and count the days til you can retire.......

Wow....I'm surprised the administration would allow this comment to be on here.

Also, if you decide to start out at the high school level in KY you might want to check out the KHSAA.org website. Alot of schools require that you take and pass a coaching class.

http://www.khsaa.org/coachingeducation/currentschedule.htm

Heres a link to the info about the coaching class and test too.

http://www.khsaa.org/coachingeducation/cepinformation.htm