Time To Actually End Soccer Games

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful? Hardly. Who wants to watch 3 hours of any sport with no scoring? It's time for a long needed change. I think if there is a tie we play a five minute OT with no goalies or go straight to a shootout. :thumb:

What does the result of the match (the score) have to do whether the match was well played or not??

Just because your team does not win, does not mean it wasn't a great match to watch.

Maybe Barack and ole Mitt could play some hoops. Barry would win that too!!!!!!!!! The gipper would play but he's still dead!:idunno:

Just when you were doing so well with a great thread topic....

What is your deal with disrespecting deceased presidents? I fail to see the humor.

Getting rid of the offside rule could be a double edged sword for many teams. By playing over the top kick ball, you would not develop soccer players, only ball kickers. As long as your team had the fastest forwards, you would likely find success in playing kick ball. But if you ran up against equally fast backs that neutralized your forwards, then had no skill in the midfield because it was never developed by practicing kickball, the ball would rarely leave your end of the field. And what happens when you play that style but lose your speedy forwards to injury or graduation?

The game is fine as it is. The few times that a run is perfectly timed with a ball played through or over the top, it is a beautiful thing to see. It would be a shame to lose that just to watch a game that has double digit goals scored.

I understand your thoughts, but respectfully, we will have to agree to disagree.

Beautiful? Hardly. Who wants to watch 3 hours of any sport with no scoring? It's time for a long needed change. I think if there is a tie we play a five minute OT with no goalies or go straight to a shootout. :thumb:

Lopsided wins are no fun to watch in my opinion. So, since we are proposing wholesale rules changes, how about this; once a team is up by 3 goals or more, the next time they score, it counts for the team that is losing. In your honor, we could call it the Spreading the wealth/Redistribution rule.

Lopsided wins are no fun to watch in my opinion. So, since we are proposing wholesale rules changes, how about this; once a team is up by 3 goals or more, the next time they score, it counts for the team that is losing. In your honor, we could call it the Spreading the wealth/Redistribution rule.

. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well played, WhoozYoDaddy! :thumb:

WINNER!!!

Getting rid of the offside rule could be a double edged sword for many teams. By playing over the top kick ball, you would not develop soccer players, only ball kickers. As long as your team had the fastest forwards, you would likely find success in playing kick ball. But if you ran up against equally fast backs that neutralized your forwards, then had no skill in the midfield because it was never developed by practicing kickball, the ball would rarely leave your end of the field. And what happens when you play that style but lose your speedy forwards to injury or graduation?

The game is fine as it is. The few times that a run is perfectly timed with a ball played through or over the top, it is a beautiful thing to see. It would be a shame to lose that just to watch a game that has double digit goals scored.

For my money I would rather watch a kick ball game any day over a team that tries to control the ball all game. Where do most goals come from? Seems to me corners, free kicks, balls being played through or over the top or the number one way I see is individual effort. Are the girls more skilled, sure but there is nothing better than watching a ball played over the top and the battle between forward and D-back and then if the forward wins the one on one with the goalie. Just bc you play direct or over the top deosn't mean you do not try to develop your players skills.

To me the mind set of playing possession is kinda like the country club way and playing more direct is more the bar room brawl type, both are fine comes down to choose.

For my money I would rather watch a kick ball game any day over a team that tries to control the ball all game. Where do most goals come from? Seems to me corners, free kicks, balls being played through or over the top or the number one way I see is individual effort. Are the girls more skilled, sure but there is nothing better than watching a ball played over the top and the battle between forward and D-back and then if the forward wins the one on one with the goalie. Just bc you play direct or over the top deosn't mean you do not try to develop your players skills.

To me the mind set of playing possession is kinda like the country club way and playing more direct is more the bar room brawl type, both are fine comes down to choose.

My argument was against losing the offside call in favor of being able to cherry pick. I am all for a nice ball over the top so long as it is paired with a well timed run by a forward or midfielder. I agree, that is a fun part of the game to watch. That said, I still prefer watching kids with good foot skill, passing skill and teamwork, who work the ball downfield with a plan and have the skills needed to execute the plan.

Couldn't agree with you more BGH. I do not like any games that end in a tie. Unfortunately I am not a big fan of the shootout either because it takes a team sport and makes it an individual sport IMO. However, if that is what you need to do to declare a winner, then you do it. I would prefer to remove the goalie and play until someone scores or have 5 minute over time periods and reduce 1 or 2 players from each team for each over time period. Just some thoughts to think about but I agree something needs to be done to increase attendance. And the offsides is a call I really do not like at all. Its like saying you can't fast break in basketball. Take the offsides penalty away and you probably have less ties and more goals, which means more excitement and possibly better attendance. Just my thoughts.

I agree COMPLTELY. I know it will never happen but I would LOVE to see soccer played with no off sides and a larger goal. I think a 10-9 soccer game would be great. That is why I like indoor soccer so much better. I know the purists disagree and that is the way the game is played, but I too sat through a 2 hour 1-1 tie in a varsity game last week and when it was over I just sat there and thought "Is that all there Is".