Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Time To Actually End Soccer Games

Featured Replies

Today I watched the Bishop Brossart and Notre Dame girl's freshmen and junior varsity teams battle to back to back hard fought excellent games but they were 0-0 ties. I believe strongly once you reach the high school level games should have an ending. This is not rec ball. I think it is one thing that hurts attendance. The KHSAA last year took a baby step requiring seeded District games have to go to a shootout. I think it is time ALL SOCCER GAMES go to a tiebreaker if they end in a tie. I'm sure I will never get my dream of offsides being eliminated but this is doable. Other than an occasional freak golf match ending in a tie, soccer is the only sport that you can play long and hard and not have one team finish with more goals, points or runs than the other.

  • Replies 34
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Games in the World Cup often end in a draw, as well. Just saying...

Why? Sometimes no team deserves to win. Why artificially create one?

Why? Sometimes no team deserves to win. Why artificially create one?

 

Sometimes a tie in soccer IS a win for a heavy underdog.

Sometimes a tie in soccer IS a win for a heavy underdog.

 

Absolutely agree.

Every professional league in the world uses it. Now, this I don't know. Do high school teams get awarded 3 pts for a win and 1 pt for a tie?

Today I watched the Bishop Brossart and Notre Dame girl's freshmen and junior varsity teams battle to back to back hard fought excellent games but they were 0-0 ties. I believe strongly once you reach the high school level games should have an ending. This is not rec ball. I think it is one thing that hurts attendance. The KHSAA last year took a baby step requiring seeded District games have to go to a shootout. I think it is time ALL SOCCER GAMES go to a tiebreaker if they end in a tie. I'm sure I will never get my dream of offsides being eliminated but this is doable. Other than an occasional freak golf match ending in a tie, soccer is the only sport that you can play long and hard and not have one team finish with more goals, points or runs than the other.

 

Couldn't agree with you more BGH. I do not like any games that end in a tie. Unfortunately I am not a big fan of the shootout either because it takes a team sport and makes it an individual sport IMO. However, if that is what you need to do to declare a winner, then you do it. I would prefer to remove the goalie and play until someone scores or have 5 minute over time periods and reduce 1 or 2 players from each team for each over time period. Just some thoughts to think about but I agree something needs to be done to increase attendance. And the offsides is a call I really do not like at all. Its like saying you can't fast break in basketball. Take the offsides penalty away and you probably have less ties and more goals, which means more excitement and possibly better attendance. Just my thoughts.

Couldn't agree with you more BGH. I do not like any games that end in a tie. Unfortunately I am not a big fan of the shootout either because it takes a team sport and makes it an individual sport IMO. However, if that is what you need to do to declare a winner, then you do it. I would prefer to remove the goalie and play until someone scores or have 5 minute over time periods and reduce 1 or 2 players from each team for each over time period. Just some thoughts to think about but I agree something needs to be done to increase attendance. And the offsides is a call I really do not like at all. Its like saying you can't fast break in basketball. Take the offsides penalty away and you probably have less ties and more goals, which means more excitement and possibly better attendance. Just my thoughts.

 

That wouldn't take very long.

And the offsides is a call I really do not like at all. Its like saying you can't fast break in basketball. Take the offsides penalty away and you probably have less ties and more goals, which means more excitement and possibly better attendance.

 

I'd like to watch a few games without the offside call before I made up my mind on this. My gut tells me that getting rid of the offside call would be a terrible idea and would make the game nearly unwatchable by changing it from a game of back-and-forth flow, trying to find a way into the attacking zone, into a game of trying to blast long balls over defenders toward cherry-picking forwards. Some teams try to play the long-ball game already -- and I promise it isn't fun to watch.

 

But there's also every chance that wouldn't be how it evolved and I'd like to see what those games would be.

^ Can anyone say snowbird?

Today I watched the Bishop Brossart and Notre Dame girl's freshmen and junior varsity teams battle to back to back hard fought excellent games but they were 0-0 ties. I believe strongly once you reach the high school level games should have an ending. This is not rec ball. I think it is one thing that hurts attendance. The KHSAA last year took a baby step requiring seeded District games have to go to a shootout. I think it is time ALL SOCCER GAMES go to a tiebreaker if they end in a tie. I'm sure I will never get my dream of offsides being eliminated but this is doable. Other than an occasional freak golf match ending in a tie, soccer is the only sport that you can play long and hard and not have one team finish with more goals, points or runs than the other.

 

Excellent post. Now just stay out of the political forum. :lol:

  • Author

Maybe Barack and ole Mitt could play some hoops. Barry would win that too!!!!!!!!! The gipper would play but he's still dead!:idunno:

I'd like to watch a few games without the offside call before I made up my mind on this. My gut tells me that getting rid of the offside call would be a terrible idea and would make the game nearly unwatchable by changing it from a game of back-and-forth flow, trying to find a way into the attacking zone, into a game of trying to blast long balls over defenders toward cherry-picking forwards. Some teams try to play the long-ball game already -- and I promise it isn't fun to watch.

 

But there's also every chance that wouldn't be how it evolved and I'd like to see what those games would be.

If you think that there is cherry picking now remove the offsides call .

Getting rid of the offside rule could be a double edged sword for many teams. By playing over the top kick ball, you would not develop soccer players, only ball kickers. As long as your team had the fastest forwards, you would likely find success in playing kick ball. But if you ran up against equally fast backs that neutralized your forwards, then had no skill in the midfield because it was never developed by practicing kickball, the ball would rarely leave your end of the field. And what happens when you play that style but lose your speedy forwards to injury or graduation?

 

The game is fine as it is. The few times that a run is perfectly timed with a ball played through or over the top, it is a beautiful thing to see. It would be a shame to lose that just to watch a game that has double digit goals scored.

Getting rid of the offside rule could be a double edged sword for many teams. By playing over the top kick ball, you would not develop soccer players, only ball kickers. As long as your team had the fastest forwards, you would likely find success in playing kick ball. But if you ran up against equally fast backs that neutralized your forwards, then had no skill in the midfield because it was never developed by practicing kickball, the ball would rarely leave your end of the field. And what happens when you play that style but lose your speedy forwards to injury or graduation?

 

The game is fine as it is. The few times that a run is perfectly timed with a ball played through or over the top, it is a beautiful thing to see. It would be a shame to lose that just to watch a game that has double digit goals scored.

Agree totally! There's no reason to ruin "the beautiful game"!!!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.