Where's the outrage over gas prices?

Again, show me how we should believe it's a FACT that we can be energy independent. Pure fantasy based off of a bad scientist.

I have no clue how much oil it takes to be energy dependent. I'm not sure we could get a good estimate of that any more than we can obviously estimate how much is in that place. I will say this, I think it sure sounds like there is a huge reserve there that is currently unable to be recovered with today's technology. I would be a proponent of spending some money on advancing that technology. You know, versus exploring Mars.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do we know it's going to be much more than their initial estimate?

Their initial estimate was 4B. Survey won't be complete until late 2013. The dude who owns the joint says his conservative estimate is 24B. Kinda tough to say who's wrong.

I have no clue how much oil it takes to be energy dependent. I'm not sure we could get a good estimate of that any more than we can obviously estimate how much is in that place. I will say this, I think it sure sounds like there is a huge reserve there that is currently unable to be recovered with today's technology. I would be a proponent of spending some money on advancing that technology. You know, versus exploring Mars.

All avenues need to explored.

We just can't have people believing everything they hear when there is absolutely no proof.

In 2010 the US used approximately 6.8B barrels of oil.

Their initial estimate was 4B. Survey won't be complete until late 2013. The dude who owns the joint says his conservative estimate is 24B. Kinda tough to say who's wrong.

Dude you cite doesn't own the USGS. Let's wait to see what they come up with even if we say they're conservative.

However, 24B doesn't make us energy independent. That will cover about 3+ years.

Again, show me how we should believe it's a FACT that we can be energy independent. Pure fantasy based off of a bad scientist.
How can you assume it's a fact we won't be? I haven't seen anything from either that would make be believe one way or the other. You were claiming 4 billion as gospel. Now 24B is the number.

How can you assume it's a fact we won't be? I haven't seen anything from either that would make be believe one way or the other. You were claiming 4 billion as gospel. Now 24B is the number.

First, 24B is NOT the number. We won't know the number until 2013.

But let's play that game and use that number. If we keep our consumption the same as 2010 (probably will go up when the economy gets going but....) 24B is 3 years.

How many barrels do you think the number would have to be if we use 7B annually? Remember, it's not 24B per year. It's not 24B every 5 years. It's (maybe) 24B TOTAL.

Would we need to see that number at 350B? 700B?

Dude you cite doesn't own the USGS. Let's wait to see what they come up with even if we say they're conservative.

However, 24B doesn't make us energy independent. That will cover about 3+ years.

I think I knew the bolded. My question for you then Clyde is this, you say all avenues should be explored, do you propose that the government gets involved in that research financially or is it strictly a private (corporate) responsibility?

I think I knew the bolded. My question for you then Clyde is this, you say all avenues should be explored, do you propose that the government gets involved in that research financially or is it strictly a private (corporate) responsibility?

I'm all for govt $$ being spent in conjunction with private $$ in order to help the country as a whole. This particular issue is worth using tax dollars IMO.

However, we can't do it just in the name of $$. I have real concerns about fracking (key strategy being used to get that number higher) on our water supply and ultimately our health. It has to be done the right way.

Ultimately we need to get off of oil and due to us being ignorant as a public and due to influence in DC we are way behind in that area.

I'm all for govt $$ being spent in conjunction with private $$ in order to help the country as a whole. This particular issue is worth using tax dollars IMO.

However, we can't do it just in the name of $$. I have real concerns about fracking (key strategy being used to get that number higher) on our water supply and ultimately our health. It has to be done the right way.

Ultimately we need to get off of oil and due to us being ignorant as a public and due to influence in DC we are way behind in that area.

Which begs the question, what do we do with the coal that this administration seems to be against mining?

Which begs the question, what do we do with the coal that this administration seems to be against mining?

It will stay as long as we do not have alternatives. We need better alternatives IMO.

Just like tobacco farmers who have had to change those relying on coal jobs will as well. Unfortunate for them but America evolves.

It will be mined, but it will just be sold off to India and China. So will the environment be better off?

It will be mined, but it will just be sold off to India and China. So will the environment be better off?

I'm certainly no expert on how much that will help the environment. My uneducated guess is the less we have used in the States the better we will be environmentally.

It will stay as long as we do not have alternatives. We need better alternatives IMO.

Just like tobacco farmers who have had to change those relying on coal jobs will as well. Unfortunate for them but America evolves.

Bitter pill that you expect an entire region to swallow. I see no reason that coal can't and won't be necessary for the remainder of my lifetime. And we don't have to rely on the world's largest sandbox to acquire it.

I have a good friend who sells coal for one of the largest coal companies in EKY and he just made a ridiculous transaction with India to export their product there. So, I agree with you totally.